Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Combining .COM + .NET or .ORG

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDN

I've been very curious recently to know how much keyword .COM domain names' value increase when combined with the .NET or .ORG.
Is it more valuable selling the .COM + .NET to resellers?

Thoughts?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can think of one case where someone originally approached me to buy BlahSingular.com but really didn't like my asking price. Once I offered to include the singulars and plurals in .COM / .ORG / .NET, he jumped at my asking price.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on the niche but if you can register the .com, .net, and .org then why not, especially if you think you can flip them quickly? It'll help an end user "corner" the market with the most popular TLDs.

Just don't go overboard with it - those registration fees can add up. Really look into the keyword to see if it is worth the other 2 or not.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
at one time, it wasn't too hard to acquire the same 3 letters in .com .net and .org

and in turn, it wasn't too hard to "up sell" them as a group

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd actually recommend coupling the .org with the .com.

The .net extension isn't normally used as a primary whereas both .com and .org are pretty common.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If the .net or .org or both are registered and .com is not, get the .com

If they are not, get the .com

If you get the .com, register the .net and .org only when you intend to build a brand, or if the domain actually means something e.g. print.com/net/org

J

JDN

This is what I was alluding to. Assuming the goal is to resell, not develop a brand, is it worth acquiring the matching .NETs and/ or .ORGs? Does this increase the value of the .COM?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assuming the goal is to resell, not develop a brand, is it worth acquiring the matching .NETs and/ or .ORGs? Does this increase the value of the .COM?

i don't think it increases value of .com, it may increase value of .net .org when selling as a group, as opposed to the amount you could get if sold individually.

by selling as a package deal, you could inflate price on .net/ .org higher than you could if sold seperately

also, i think the .net and .org would have to have some value on their own, for a buyer to want the group.

per the 3 letter example

J

JDN

I always thought owning both the .COM + .NET increased the value of the .COM. Guess that was a misconception, doesn't seem to be that simple!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always thought owning both the .COM + .NET increased the value of the .COM. Guess that was a misconception, doesn't seem to be that simple!

there are so many aspects of domaining, which are presented to the masses in generalities.

so much so, that it (domain valuation) can be conceived as simple process of attaching value down and across extensions.

the .com probably would have more value in the eyes of the .net owner, if not the same person

however, if one person owned both, their combined upsell value could be determined by a party interested in acquiring both extensions, and or plus the owners assessed value of that combination should they decide to sell.

that value could also be determined by traffic and revenue, along with number of previous inquires to purchase.

but if there is only interest in the .com, then what value does .net have to the potential or to the owner?

that could depend on the keyword/category

there so many different scenerios one could paint to illustrate which way value will lean, and how it will/can be perceived.

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom