Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Coming Out Party for Country Code Domains: ccTLDs Get Their Turn on Center Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The new June Cover Story is out at DNJournal.com. It is a detailed account of the biggest coming out party ever held for country code domains (ccTLDs). It happened just over a week ago when RickLatona.com (under a special licensing arrangement) staged the first T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conference ever held in Europe – one devoted entirely to ccTLDs. In a business dominated by .coms, a lot of people thought Latona took a wrong turn when he started buying up and heavily promoting ccTLD domains 18 months ago (he has more than 30,000 of them now). But after his show in Amsterdam it looks more like he took a short cut that has put him ahead of the pack. You can read all about it here: Coming Out Party for ccTLDs: http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2009/june.htm

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is nothing new about cc's
maybe Latone discovered them recently
(or wants uninformed domainers to buy his)
they have always been #1 in their respective countries

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great article as usual Ron, very nice coverage.

I'm particular excited by:
Mathias provided some interesting stats noting the market shares for various ccTLDs extension on the Sedo sales platform. .de dominates, accounting for 60% of sales. co.uk comes next with a 13% share at Sedo, followed by .in at 9%. He said the company is also seeing solid growth in .es and .fr.

Good times ahead! Being 3rd behind .de and .co.uk can only be a good sign.

dominator

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm particular excited by...

you have to take into consideration also the population of the country

and also:
sedo fees for some TLDs are prohibitive

if the sales price is 300 euros, the fee is 150 euros, what is insane!
so no reasonable person would use sedo for sale´s below 800 euros (for these TLDs)

DomainFatigue

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they have always been #1 in their respective countries

I'm certainly not doubting it, but do have to say that after just returning from a cruise and visiting parts of Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Greece and Turkey on excursions, I did see a lot of ads, signs, etc., in these countries with the .com ext. More than I would have thought. Still, that probably just because many of the areas are heavily visited by U.S. tourists...

Last edited:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Coming Out Party For ccTLDs"....

Are you sure this hasn't happened already? :D

Last edited:

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you have to take into consideration also the population of the country
Hmmm, not all cctlds are sold on basis on local population, otherwise .tv and .ws would never sell.

Also, as far as the top 3 are concerned, the only extension without a nexus requirement is .in - you need to satisfy nexus for .de and .co.uk - plus both have a 'name transfer fee' built into the domain, unlike .in

So from an investment perspective, unless you're based in the country of the cctld, its pretty obvious which has the most growth potential.

dominator

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, not all cctlds are sold on basis on local population, otherwise .tv and .ws would never sell.

.tv and .ws is an old story
used as pseudo-gTLDs, not ccTLDs

Also, as far as the top 3 are concerned, the only extension without a nexus requirement is .in - you need to satisfy nexus for .de and .co.uk - plus both have a 'name transfer fee' built into the domain, unlike .in

i do not know about any restrictions for .uk

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Another slobbering love affair with some of the bottom-feeders who've gotten rich in part due to typo-squatting and whipping up frenzies at over-hyped auctions. These hucksters remind me of the ShamWow guy and Billy Mays on TV commercials.

Need another tissue Ron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom