Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Comment: Under Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The other party has made a comment with this offer, which Sedo is now reviewing and will display within 1 business day."

I'm really sick of this.

I'm in the middle of negotiating a domain, and now we need to hold the ship until someone gets around to censor some comments.
Do you really think this helps the situation?
What if the comments say - 'this offer expires in 24 hours', and by the time SEDO gets around to read them it is too late and the deal is dead.
This censorship certainly needs to be removed.

A waste of everyone's time.

I could either
A) react to the offer and risk screwing up the deal because I didnt get to read the note they added or
B) wait till SEDO reviews the comment and risk having the buyer change their mind
C) wait till SEDO reviews the comment and risk loosing the deal due to a time constraint the buyer placed in the offer
What would you do?
I'm going to wait, because it's only fair to the buyer that I listen to them before my next move.
The sale is automatic if all the proper steps are taken.
Listening to their comment is the right thing to do.

I used to sell real estate.
All offers had to be submitted to the other party within 24 hours.
And with full disclosure, whatever info one party sends to the other should be disclosed.
Where is the agency relationship?
Is it fiduciary? Transactional? Who is SEDO looking out for? Censoring communication - and on top of the censorship, a waiting period!
Terrible. What were you guys thinking?
At first it was a bother, now it is a real thorn.

Please change this design.

And before you go and explain to me the list of reasons I see here,

"In order to preserve a fair and equitable selling environment Sedo must first check over the comments to ensure that they do not contain any of the following:

* Email addresses
* Telephone numbers
* IM or Chat identities
* URLs with contact data
* Any other attempt to send contact data
* Strong language or personal insults
"

Do realize that all the important reasons can be filtered utilizing regular expressions in the application coding.

Just more evidence of laziness at others' expense.

Smith

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jarred I highly doubt that this has anything to do with laziness. I'm sure Sedo is aware that if they were to remove this protection they would face a lot of abuse from cheap pricks trying to scam them out of their 10%. It would be a bad business move on their part do do what you are asking / complaining about.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you read what I suggested?
Regular expressions to filter it out and flag the accounts. Like how scriptlance and a lot of other sites do.

It is laziness on the part of the programmers.
And if these 'cheap pricks' you describe are smart enough to try and swindle SEDO for their commission, they would be smart enough to go to whois and get the domainer's contact info there & contact them another way.

This is evidence of greed and laziness at others' expense.

As the crickets churp...

Smith

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seeing how it would be the seller looking to avoid the fees the whois is irrelevant.

The seller can't tell the buyer to email the address in the whois, and even if there were filters it would not be had to bypass them once you knew what to look for.

It would be irresponsible from a business standpoint to implement what you want, but a solution would be for Sedo to delegate the reviews of the comments to more staff in order to expedite the current process.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What he is saying, why not make a filter that blocks email addresses etc, and then the comments to buyer/seller WITHOUT those keywords would automaticly be allowed through without sedo haveing to review the comment. Andf I agree with him on it.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smith said:
Seeing how it would be the seller looking to avoid the fees the whois is irrelevant.

I think you are forgetting that it is the buyer that actually pays for the fee.
We had a very long panel about this at a real estate university I attended.

BUYER pays for the fee. It's deducted from the credit to the seller.

Back on topic, it could therefore very well be the buyer looking to thwart the system. As a buyer, I know I pay the fee - and if I were looking to save money, I could always ask the seller to 'meet me out back'.
Besides, no matter who thinks they're the one paying the fee, whois is completely relevant way to avoid the transaction taking place at SEDO. You also say "The seller can't tell the buyer to email the address in the whois." well, they certainly can, so again, I'm not with you here.

Take it an additional step further - why on earth is no email sent out when SEDO finally does get to reviewing the comments?
The fact that they expect me to check it all day long to see if they got back from ping pong to review the comments is an insult to the value of my time.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought: why not create some kind of "trusted client" status for buyers or sellers who've done some business at Sedo and maybe even sent a comment or 2 without trying to "cheat". Let these people send messages that show up immediately. You can still review them later, and you should definitly use regex to catch obvious attempts to cheat. If a trusted client tries to cheat you revoke their "trusted" status or ban them or whatever.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a good suggestion also.

To add to it, now that that suggestion is out in the open - if they dont trust us and make that modification to the system, then why should we trust them?

It's only normal to not trust those that are not willing to earn your trust.

I think we're having a good discussion here, maybe we can come up with some more ideas for them to consider.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
regular expressions and filters are (too) easy to cheat.
e m a i l [\at/] m y do m a in [\dot/] com (remove spaces)
You will easily understand this.Will a script understand it?

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So let's talk about the trust factor in that case.

if trust = 1
return true
if trust = 0
sub review

sevant's idea is excellent

S

SedoCoUk

sevent said:
Here's a thought: why not create some kind of "trusted client" status for buyers or sellers who've done some business at Sedo and maybe even sent a comment or 2 without trying to "cheat". Let these people send messages that show up immediately. You can still review them later, and you should definitly use regex to catch obvious attempts to cheat. If a trusted client tries to cheat you revoke their "trusted" status or ban them or whatever.

This is an interesting idea. We've spoken about a feedback or trust system before but this would be an interesting application of it. I'll gladly bring it up at our next marketing meeting.

Jay
[email protected]

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the long run ALL sales communities, especially the online ones, need ways to gauge trust. From the feedback rating at eBay, to the trader rating here, to making an offer on a house with your loan already pre-qualified, these things are vital.

Buyers are protected by the escrow process and presumably don't buy so many names that time is an issue. But for seller, to be able to see that stats about someone making a bid (member since xxxx, bought x domains, average purchase price x, deals that fell through x, warnings for inapropriate messages x) would help sellers decide if it's worth negotiating or if this person is just sending out lots of lowball offers looking for a lucky break.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
This is an interesting idea. We've spoken about a feedback or trust system before but this would be an interesting application of it. I'll gladly bring it up at our next marketing meeting.

Jay
[email protected]

Could you touch on this comment I wrote earlier -

Take it an additional step further - why on earth is no email sent out when SEDO finally does get to reviewing the comments?
The fact that they expect me to check it all day long to see if they got back from ping pong to review the comments is an insult to the value of my time.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with MediaHound on all his suggestions:
1) Build an automated approval system that filters data. If unsure then have a person look at the comment.
2) Have a "trusted client" feature. If the system is unsure AND client is trusted then approve the comment AND have a person look at the comment later. If the client cheated then remove him from trusted.
3) Send an email when a comment is approved.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
btw, Phil, if your still reading this thread - I'm wondering if you have any suggestions to make it better? or are your ok with the way they handle this?

Smith

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm fine with how they currently handle it.

I don't often sell domain names, but when I do have emails about my domains I normally wait a day or two before replying anyway.

But;

An idea off the top of my head would be to allow users to create their own custom replies that are submitted for approval to sedo. Once these custom replies are approved they would be saved in the sedo backend, and then allowed to be used as replies to all future buyers without needing approval by sedo.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a good idea, too.
I personally dont like the grammar and choice of wording the pre-set replies use.
It would be nice to edit them / create new ones.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The filtering is useless and a complete waste of time. All one has to do is contact the owner via the WHOIS.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your right.
I'm going to try not to get sidetracked from my initial post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom