Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Common dictionary words TM'ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could common dictionary word .com's be trademarked?

For example, about.com
Would aboutfrogs.com or aboutsearch.com or anything like that be infringing on about.com's rights?

Overture is a little trickier. It's a common dictionary word, not like yahoo or google, but everyone knows overture as the search engine, there's really no mistaking it for something else. So if you registered OvertureRankingTips.ext or MakeMoneyWithOverture.ext, would that be wrong?

I've seen a few posts touch on this, but I just wanted to see if I could get everyone's opinions in the same place.

Thanks,
azt

Sorry, I realize now that there's more threads about this than I thought. So unless anyone wants to give their opinions on dictionary word domains again, just forget I asked. :-#

I would still like everyone's opinion on Overture_____.com domains though.

Thanks,
azt

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
azt said:
Could common dictionary word .com's be trademarked?

Any word can be trademarked. But common words can't be trademarked for
their "common meanings" (i.e. apple = fruit, caterpillar = butterfly, etc.)

azt said:
For example, about.com
Would aboutfrogs.com or aboutsearch.com or anything like that be infringing on about.com's rights?

It's one thing to infringe, it's another if the domain name is being used that is
different or unrelated to the trademarked party's use.

azt said:
So if you registered OvertureRankingTips.ext or MakeMoneyWithOverture.ext, would that be wrong?

The $64 question actually is "What did I register the domain for?".

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, Overture___.com names would be wrong, if you are using them to refer to Overture the search engine. That's inringing upon their mark. The examples you gave are obvious violations.

RegFee

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
Yes, Overture___.com names would be wrong, if you are using them to refer to Overture the search engine. That's inringing upon their mark. The examples you gave are obvious violations.

Thanks. I found an overture name that I think would valuable, but from what I read, the risk of tm violations just isn't worth it.

-azt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom