Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Company names in domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domains4SaleNOW

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi I have searched for the answer to this question and have been unable to find the answer.

If for example I had a website called www.CocaCola-drink-reviews.com would that be legal?

Many thanks in advance.

Gary.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, you can't use domains of TM companies (except if these companies give you written permission to use it).
Stay away from TM domains.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
definitely stay away from them.

If you use a name like that for "free speech" and make no money off of it you would have a case, but if you don't make money then it don't make sense.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I type in starbuckslover.com, and the site directs me to godaddy.com.

Does this mean Starbucks give godaddy permission to use the domain with its trademark? This definitely is an advertisement domain.

And what if you plan to use it for domain monetization, ppc?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I type in starbuckslover.com, and the site directs me to godaddy.com.

Does this mean Starbucks give godaddy permission to use the domain with its trademark? This definitely is an advertisement domain.

And what if you plan to use it for domain monetization, ppc?
That is the godaddy placeholder page - probably the registrant is not using the name yet. As a rule - it's cybersquatting, unless you have permission from the TM holder or a good reason (ie. paypalsucks.com => free speech).

I33

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
great topic, i got a question.. lets say i buy a domain for $1500 and coca cola comes with me. do they owe me anything for the site, or do i have to turn it over to them for free?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of it boils down to usage, too. Granted the above mentioned domains are clearly targeted towards the TM owner but what about apple.com? (or apple-sales.com etc..)

If you use it to sell products in refrence to the fruit (apple pie, tarts, apple art, toy apples, apple cider, etc.) then Apple (the computer company) would have a trough time trying to get it from you (until they saw one computer based ad on your site).

Another example: Nissan.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom