Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Complete newbie, please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbienew

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As you can tell by my username, I am a total newbie to all of this. I eagerly want to get started but am unsure of how/where to start.

I purchased a domain name (through Yahoo, which by reading through the forum was a mistake. I should have registered through godaddy.com) but am unsure of how to get set up with a company such as DomainSponsor. Upon sign up, I am asked what the monthly traffic is like, how many domains I own, etc.

So, in order for me to get set up with a company like that, would I only be accepted if I had a high traffic volume? There is nothing on the page right now. I just registered the domain so I don't even know how much traffic it is getting...unsure of how to monitor that... Also, do I actually need to BUILD a website? I was under the impression that I could just purchase a domain name and then DS would provide me with some generic search page.

Please provide me with any help you can. I've been so confused for days! lol

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) Spend some time reading through www.namenewbie.com

2) Find a second domain to register and register it at Moniker.com. Contact them via telephone, I believe they offer a price of $6.95 for DNForum members. They will talk you through the process of registering the names, directing the nameservers and parking your domains at their parking service TrafficClub. This is the easiest way to get started. From there you can learn more as you go.

There are other choices, I recommend Moniker because they were very helpful to me in understanding the process.

newbienew

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice. I spoke with Moniker today and you were right, they are definitely very helpful and they answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again!

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namenewbie is a good site for beginners
i am sure you will change your name soon :)
good luck

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi bro,

just a few tips from another newbie..........if u want to make money from someone like domainsponsor, it is very important that you get your traffic right.no traffic no money

And believe me get your domain at www.ipower.com the cheapest domain you will find anywhere (have mine registered with them) and pretty good service

and for your stat problem, sign up with http://main.addfreestats.com/ for a free account.

Hope it helps

chaumi

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Newbienew

Can you tell us the domain you registered? There is a lot to learn, and you'll most likely be on a big curve. The name will give us a clue on where you're headed. I've learned the hard way (and I bet many other members have too), make sure you read through as much as you can on this forum. It's a gold mine for info on what to do and what not to do. If you've got time, read through as many of the posts by the top posters as you can.

The vast majority of new names registered get little or no type in traffic. You can make a lot of mistakes before this strikes home, be careful :)

Having said that, there are opportunities, and it's cool when an idea works out.

A couple of other well known parking sites are Sedo and Namedrive.

Chaumi

newbienew

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I went with Duckinla's advice and registered the domain at Moniker and parked with TrafficClub. The domain I registered is http://www.teacheconomics.com To me it sounds like a good domain name but really who knows. What do you guys think?

So far, no traffic after a couple of days... sucks. I was hoping to make a million by now haha

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's probably not going to get any type-in traffic. Not that it's not a solid name but it's a small audience domain. People aren't too likely to type it in directly without knowing that the site exists in the first place. That's the kind of name you would have to develop.

chaumi

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree. If you think about it, who's going to search on that term...mainly people who teach economics looking for a job?. ...and now think how many of these would type teacheconomics.com direct into browser. You can see the point.

Nothing wrong with the name. If you developed it, it could work as a niche site. But then think how many big internet job search companies are already out there! Most people would go through one of these, you'd be competing against all of them on your search terms, and you'd need to find a good differentiator from all of those. Difficult!

If you're looking for type ins (without going into the drop market) probably the best option is to think ahead. An example....EPD or electronic paper displays. If you think these could make paper news/books etc redundant, you'd sign up al the available variants using terms that are already highly searched. Obviously EPD.com is long gone, so you'd search for EPDguide, EPDstore etc etc.

You may already have seen this, but just in case. An extremely valuable resource posted by Edwin:

http://www.dnforum.com/f273/all-overture-keyword-bid-research-tools-thread-130884.html

Basically it tells you how many searches were carried out on overture in the previous month for any term you choose to enter. Just don't waste your time looking up availability of all the highly searched terms, and a vast number of the lesser searched, they'll be long gone :)

RaGa

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why is yahoo not a good place to buy domains ?

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why is yahoo not a good place to buy domains ?

No professional on this forum has the time, or the patience to deal with them. Transfering out is a hell-hole; i've heard.

Buying a domain from yahoo is like buying a boat from walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom