Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Computers as Powerful as Humans by 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they certainly have us beat on memorization now

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2020 is not very far away but it seems so when you look at the date. Who could have really imagined 2005 back in 1990 but it was also only a 15 year difference.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
all the functions of the human brain are not even completely understood yet, so how on earth (or space) is a computer going to be as 'powerful'???

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
all the functions of the human brain are not even completely understood yet, so how on earth (or space) is a computer going to be as 'powerful'???
powerful, only intellectually, i think, and physically, i dont think they can ever be better or even close to emotionally, its not possible because we dont even truly know how it works.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The human brain's potential is way beyond our comprehension. As long as computers are created by humans they will never even come close to the brain's capacity and processing.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Computers as Powerful as Humans by 2020
Never :cool: The human brain is even too complex to be understood by a humanbeing. Therefore: how could a computer (created by humans) become as 'powerful' as a human when humans are not able to comprehend and reproduce their own full 'power'? Science-Fiction, in my opinion. :rolleyes:

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:

Once the processing power of computers exceeds the processing power of humans, the computers will then be in a better position than humans to understand how our minds work. Of course, there is no guarantee the computers will tell us what they find out... :worried:

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
Once the processing power of computers exceeds the processing power of humans, the computers will then be in a better position than humans to understand how our minds work. Of course, there is no guarantee the computers will tell us what they find out... :worried:
Ever seen The Matrix? :-D

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
what is the brain's capacity, please?

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
angel_x666 said:
what is the brain's capacity, please?

Usually eight to ten beers will do it for me.

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think the brains capacity is like those unlimited hard drives...apparently, they do exist...

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As soon as a computer is build that can automatically develop (programmatically or otherwise) realistic (i.e. buildable with current technology) plans for a computer more sophisticated than itself, the curve will accelerate upwards even faster.

Imagine that you build a computer whose sole function is to work out how to develop a computer twice as powerful as itself, then it instructs the chip factory to do so and passes the "develop a computer twice as powerful as you" instruction to the new computer. And so on, and so forth. Right now there is a huge amount of automation in chip design, but humans are not (yet) out of the equation. So we're still limited to the "slow" pace of doubling performance roughly every 18 months.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This all sounds like Irobot or terminator to me. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom