Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Con artist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just received this email;

Hello,

Could you send me price for the name mentioned in the subject line?

By the way, investing in domain names is not the main direction of our business but a good way to generate additional income.

If you have other domain names for sale please send us the complete list with prices for consideration.

I'm a very busy person so it may take several hours before I respond :)

Looking forward to do business with you.

Regards,

Slightly suspicious. :boink:

Domain Days 2024

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sounds like the scam where he will ask you to get a paid appraissal at one of his appraissal companies thats how he makes a living

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice one guys. It is fairly obvious. I can't believe scams like these are still happening!

catchiedomains

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You too hey. I have been getting these for sometime now from Opera Engineering they go by Johansen or something like that. First class cons, they prey on noobish domainers like me who get all excited and see thousnds of dollars comming in. The agree on a price say $3500 then in the next email you will get the demand for an appraisal and they will include a link to some forum on quality apprasiers that suggest most are computer generated are worthless. Of course they recommend one. They may even ask for a 10 - 15 % discount because they are looking to resell the domain. I sent them a colorful PFO last time and never got a reply.

You did the smart thing, there are good people here on these forums to help people like us from getting burned.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had one about 2 1/2 years ago, and thought they wouldn't bother doing it anymore, since people are aware of them (apart from me, who posted here to confirm :))

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get one every month it seems - even before buying domains when we just created websites for ourselves and clients. Now I always respond with my own cut and paste:

$1 million dollars firm. No appraisals needed from our end. You obviously already like the domain enough to contact us so there is your appraisal.

Oddly I never hear back until the next month with a new name and the same gig. Oh well, will they ever learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom