Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtrent

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the legal eagles can explain this for me. I was looking for a car to buy and entered gm.tv into my browser thinking autos galore would pop up. But to the contrary. It was a British television show. So here's the question:
How is it that GM allows a British television show to use their trademark?

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While General Motor's mark is known throughout the world, their mark is within a different classification. Automobiles and television are two completely different industries, thus two completely different classes altogether. As long as a mark falls within a different class and has not been created to imitate or dilute any existing marks than in most cases the same name can be used within several different classifications. Unless, of coarse the mark happens to be of a completely original behemoth of a company such as eBay, where the trademarked term has not been used in commerce previously. eBay itself is a completely original term and known by millions throughout the world. Therefore, while eBay is an online auction, you still wouldn't be able to use the mark to sell bread or anything else for that matter. On another note GM is a rather vague term altogether. If another company tried to use the mark, General Motors, than it would be a completely different story altogether.

mrtrent said:
Perhaps the legal eagles can explain this for me. I was looking for a car to buy and entered gm.tv into my browser thinking autos galore would pop up. But to the contrary. It was a British television show. So here's the question:
How is it that GM allows a British television show to use their trademark?

mrtrent

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NickStagg said:
GMTV is probably a trademark as it is a popular uk breakfast TV show

Having investigated this topic a little more in depth I found that GM has a website gmtv.feedroom.com. So it appears that these two companies are playing chess with eachother.........

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
GM is not famous "around the world". GE is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom