Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Confusingly similar tm

Status
Not open for further replies.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How similar does a tm have to be in order to be 'confusingly similar' to another tm/sm that has already been registered?

E.g. is registration-pending FOO7BAR confusingly similar to the registered trademark FOOBAR, even if they don't belong to the same class?

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Any insight? I would like to consult with an IP attorney in the next few days, if possible.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"is registration-pending FOO7BAR confusingly similar to the registered trademark FOOBAR, even if they don't belong to the same class?"

There are 9 factors the PTO uses to answer that question, so you'll need to provide more context. The factors come from In re E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., 476 F.2d 1357, 177 USPQ 563 (C.C.P.A. 1973).

The similarity or dissimilarity of the marks in their entireties as to appearance, sound, connotation and commercial impression.

The similarity or dissimilarity and nature of the goods or services as described in an application or registration or in connection with which a prior mark is in use.

The similarity or dissimilarity of established, likely-to-continue trade channels.

The conditions under which and buyers to whom sales are made, i.e. 'impulse' vs. careful, sophisticated purchasing.

The fame of the prior mark (sales, advertising, length of use).

The number and nature of similar marks in use on similar goods.

The nature and extent of any actual confusion.

The length of time during and the conditions under which there has been concurrent use without evidence of actual confusion.

The variety of goods on which a mark is or is not used (house mark, 'family' mark, product mark).

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks John; I sent you an email with my reply to the factors you listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom