Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Contacting enduser through phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

krest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success in making cold calls to end user for a domain name sales?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Depends on your accent and ability to lead a conversation where you want it to. Practice in front of a mirror.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Certainly phone, as you long as you sound like a trustworthy person. In that sense, an accent or poor English can be a minus. You don't need to lead the conversation or have sales skills - it would take exceptional sales skills to cold-call someone and sell them a domain they don't have an interest in.

The advantages of phone:
1-Unlike email, you are sure that someone has gotten your message.
2-Unlike email, you can ask for the decision makers and usually get through to them.
3-If you are well-spoken, you can give the buyer a sense of trust and reliability, rather than come off as a sleazy squatter trying to hustle money. (This should be number 1)
4-You will often get your interested or not interested response right away.
5-You can make a personal connection with the buyer that may lead to more domain purchases.

Disadvantages of phone:
1-Time. You'll waste a lot of it. You can email 100 people in an instant. Calling them will take all day.
2-Money. You'll waste some of this too. Emails are free.
3-(If you're not well spoken, or your English is poor), you'll turn people off and lose potential sales.
4-No record. Sometimes old emails get a second look by potential buyers.
5-No record. There might be a misunderstanding and you'll have nothing to support your interpretation.
6-You might say (or agree to) something stupid.

Unless you are selling a more valuable domain, the calls may not be worth your time. But, in my experience, personal contact is way more effective in both buying and selling. Don't try to sell the name. Tell the person it's for sale, and ask if they would like you to send details by email. Then follow up later. Simple as that.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh no! I have enough spam emails sending me crap names and asking for $1,288 each - Now someone will call me and ask the same price $1,288? You know where this magic number came from!

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I doubt that, Johnn. Spam emails are easy. If someone called so indiscriminately, they would soon go broke or give up. Yes, the 88 is a dead giveaway though.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had two buyers cold call me this year.

1 - A legit business inquiry by a respectable individual.

2 - A swarm of calls, even to my wifes phone, with a flurry of emails, for a person who wouldnt respond by emails and continuously called. The name he wanted I do own, the price went up for him several zero's as I applied my piss-off fee.

But I dont like cold calls, and I dont make cold calls. The chance of error or misrepresentation by either party goes up significantly.

Especially since we are talking about an internet asset,..... contact using the internet!!

edit to add,.. I prefer to recieve inquirys initially by email,..and having that lead to phone provided we are in the same ballpark.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A benefit of cold calls: technically, they cannot be recorded without your consent. That leaves the field open in situations when an email could be used by the other party for their own purpose. Of course, it goes both ways.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In fact both phone and E-mail can be used:
Reconnaissance phone call to identify the decision maker and get his/her E-mail address.
Then a tailored E-mail follows

krest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Email has been effective to me and i ven't had any success making cold calls may be due to my accent. but the issue is, i have some domains i would like to contact the potential end users and i have search for their contact. All i could find was only their phone number, what do i do in this case? or is there a way i could get their email...?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success in making cold calls to end user for a domain name sales?

in reverse, i've had plenty of sales.

:)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i get people who call me all the time but they tend to get aggressive and annoyed if you ask for anything over $100. i don't bother calling back anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom