Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Copyright - Use of OLD images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm building out one of my websites and would like to use some images of Gustave Dore a French 18th century artist (1832-1883). From some quick research a copyright typically lasts 75 years and I'm not sure he or his estate even pursued one. So am I free to use some of his images on my site. I'm not selling his images just using them for eye-candy on some of the articles. Can anyone think of any legal issues I may run into?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm building out one of my websites and would like to use some images of Gustave Dore a French 18th century artist (1832-1883). From some quick research a copyright typically lasts 75 years and I'm not sure he or his estate even pursued one. So am I free to use some of his images on my site. I'm not selling his images just using them for eye-candy on some of the articles. Can anyone think of any legal issues I may run into?
Some of his engravings are in private collections, loaned to publishers, and reproduced with rights and credits to the owners, even if listed as anonymous.

On the other hand, I know Dover Publications has reprinted many of his works.

If it is from his Illustrations of the Bible, I own one of the original books. So if anyone asks, tell them I loaned it to you.

But also check dover publications website. They may all be copyright free. And usually their books will tell you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom