Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Could this be the iPhone Killer? Nokia N98

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickySan

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nokia-n98-02.jpg

Could this be the Iphone killer?

GENERAL
Network HSDPA / GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
Status Coming Soon
SIZE Dimension 110 x 60 x 15 mm
Weight 120 g

DISPLAY
Type TFT, 16M colors
Size 640 x 480 px 3.5 inch touch screen

RINGTONES
Type Polyphonic, Monophonic, True Tones, MP3
Customization Download
Vibration Yes

MEMORY
Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
Call Records Detailed, max 30 days
Card slot microSD, hot swap,
- 160 MB internal memory

FEATURES
OS Symbian S70 3rd edition
GPRS Class 32, 107 kbps
Data Speed EDGE Class 32, 296 kbps; DTM Class 11, 177 kbps ,HSDPA, 3.6
Messaging SMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
Clock Yes
Alarm Yes
Infrared No
Games Yes
Camera 7.2 mega pixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens, Optical x5 and digital 20x

BATTERY

Standard battery, Li-Ion
Standby up to 300 Hour
Talktime up to 4 Hour

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
- Built-in GPS receiver
- A-GPS function

- Motion sensor (with UI auto-rotate)
- Java MIDP 2.0
- MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+/WMA player
- Video player

- 3.5 mm audio output jack
- TV out

- Xenon flash
- Secondary CIF videocall camera
- WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML
- Stereo FM Radio
- USB v2.0 microUSB
- Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP
- WiFi 802.11 b/g, UPnP technology
- Organizer
- Office document viewer
- T9
- Push to talk
- Voice dial/memo
- Built-in handsfree

highlights:
- 7.2 mega pixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens
- optical zoom x5 and digital zoom x20
- 3.5 inch VGA 16 million color touch screen
- GPS
- Symbian S70 3rd edition
- graphics accelerator
- bluetooth/WIFI b+g+n/HSDPA

Isnt that a really nice Photoshop job?

rbedell

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never, the iphone will remain the leader

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never, the iphone will remain the leader
Something that has less than 1% of the global market is the leader?

I think the iPhone needs deeper and wider market penetration to be able to make that claim. It is working on it, but it will take a while.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No single gadget will ever be the 'killer' of another. Personal taste plays a massive part, also the desire to be different.

Otherwise, we wouldn't have Bentleys, Ferraris and Lamborghinis, just the Porsche 911; does everything the others do, better in many cases, and cheaper - but not everyone wants one.

Nice phone though!

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
who cares about the Iphone anyway. i am happy with my Nokia E61i which has all the features in the Iphone. i am reading the Dnforum on it now. Nokia rules. if Nokia N98 is proved to better than the E61i i might buy it.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must admit, i bought the iPhone the day it was released in the UK and i'm not that happy with it. Its great for the wireless internet and music but unlike my N95, it wont send multimedia messages and you cant forward text messages so i'm considering changing back :(

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am eying on this one, currently using HTC PPC 6700, it's durable but low res screen, I am unable to decide on what to buy next Blackberry Curve or this one :) oh yes I get free upgrade anytime after april!

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep i had a n96 its fake chinese stuff i got it for less than $70 ..many nokia fakes out there :D

this seems fake too..many iphone fakes also available for less than 100 bucks here in Dubai :)

mikedee

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone saw the iPhone and thought "I know - we will make the iphone but with MORE features, it will be great".

They always forget about the entire user experience which includes things like UI design (the iphone is top notch), weight, battery time and only then raw features.

As far as phones that browse the web go, the iPhone is way in the lead and I doubt anyone will catch soon. On my site iPhone is showing as around 0.25% of visitors which is much higher than all the windows and symbian mobiles combined.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yo...Helio Ocean.

Awesome phone, web browser, design, and micro computer.

Best prices, plans, and service I have found.

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The iPhone will stay the leader for a long time in my opinion, I have the N95 and growing increasingly sick of it after 3 days lol

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question and, perhaps mostly, a curiosity.

Why are people touting the iPhone as being the leader?

A product released in June 2007 is the leader?

A product that has less than 1% market share is the leader?

A product that is essentially of a clone of products already on the market is the leader?

It may be the novelty item here in the states but from what I gather it is not making the grade globally.

Once they start giving the thing away and get decent carriers and broadband speeds, then it may be competitive. But to call it a leader?

The iPhone wishes it could be the leader. I am not calling it a failure but lets put things in perspective here.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The iPhone kicks ***

Rumor is that there's a newer iPhone coming this year, with 3G and some other added features.

We should know more after Macworld in a few weeks.

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The only reason it has 1% share is the price, I would have got the iPhone but the N95 was free on my monthly tariff while the iPhone was £299.

A friend of mine works for O2 and said nearly 75% of the customers try to get the iPhone but because of the price they are put off, if the price comes down this year or is free on certain tariffs then the iPhone will have a much larger share.

I do believe its the leader, for the past few weeks its all Ive heard people talking about.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only reason it has 1% share is the price, I would have got the iPhone but the N95 was free on my monthly tariff while the iPhone was £299.

A friend of mine works for O2 and said nearly 75% of the customers try to get the iPhone but because of the price they are put off, if the price comes down this year or is free on certain tariffs then the iPhone will have a much larger share.

I do believe its the leader, for the past few weeks its all Ive heard people talking about.
I agree and that is my point.

It has got to be the most hyped pre-launch product in the history of manufactured goods. And I think many marketing analysts have labeled it as such.

But the hype and talk does not make it the best nor the leader. I hardly consider Ms. Spears and Paris Hilton leaders simply because of gossip and hype (unless we're talking competition for the Queen of Skank).

When Apple reduces the price to near give away prices like the other carriers and manufacturers, then there will certainly be an even bigger demand for it and it will capture a greater market share.

But it will need the support of a better network and connectivity (I agree with Seanboy that it will have this) and better plans. Here in the states a monthly all inclusive, unlimited time contract costs nearly $200.00 per month on an initial 2 year plan for a slow EDGE network and a WiFi that disconnects from signal to signal.

What made me chose the Helio Ocean over the iPhone was a very fast 3G network, incredible design, half the price of the iphone, and a $99.00 per month all inclusive unlimited everything plan as well as incredible clarity and quality in phone calls.

I am sure that by the middle of this year my $99.00 unlimited everything contract will be the norm and by the end of the year it will seem high.

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What i am finding hard to understand is what the providers charge you for using, my operator is O2 and getting a answer out of them is virtually impossible.

I connect to the internet on my mobile via my home broadband, has that got anything to do with GPRS?

The reason I ask is I thought if I connect to the internet on my phone via my home broadband it would be free, but according the a sales rep at O2 I am still using GPRS and have to pay £3 per MB.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What i am finding hard to understand is what the providers charge you for using, my operator is O2 and getting a answer out of them is virtually impossible.

I connect to the internet on my mobile via my home broadband, has that got anything to do with GPRS?

The reason I ask is I thought if I connect to the internet on my phone via my home broadband it would be free, but according the a sales rep at O2 I am still using GPRS and have to pay £3 per MB.
You are in the UK and I am in the States. Although I am familiar with O2 (there's a domain I wish I owned), I am totally out of the dark regarding their plans.

I think that is one thing that most people are clueless on is the other carriers plans, services, and such. Hell, sometimes we are clueless on our own plans and services until we get that big ol' fat bill!

I know there are now specific phones that will allow you to use your current subscribed broadband at no additional charges and then will allow you to use wi-fi hotspots at no charge. These phones tend to be a little pricey for the service but, like everything else, will come down.

With the 700mz band auction coming up, the technology changes and advances at a dizzying pace, and the new web 3.0, and everything going digital along with the mobile internet, 2008 and beyond is going to be interesting.

I think you are going to see prices drop dramatically on services as there are so many entering the mobile internet connectivity now. Look at Apple and now Google jumping in. And Yahoo has signed a deal with 6 major carriers in Asia.

These are non-traditional telecomms getting into the telecomm race as even they know that is where the future is.

The giants of the telecomm industry are going to have to form alliances, slash prices and offer better services and packages just to stay in the game. Alliances, mergers, cooperatives...it will be quite interesting to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom