Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

country names (Exonym and endonym names)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndonmaxewell

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just for interest, I thought this discussion would be interesting. How would you compare the values of country names (Exonym and endonym names) and .com VS cctld?

Taiwan.com
台湾.com
Taiwan.tw
台湾.tw

Domain Days 2024

lyndonmaxewell

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
erm.. Any thoughts, anyone?

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree that it deals with what your target is.

Taiwan.tw & 台湾.tw would most likely cater to those residing in Taiwan.
Until IDN domains are normally used in the country Taiwan may have more use currently.

台湾.com & Taiwan.com could be used worldwide, the ASCII version can be used by many people in countries that use Latin letters. 台湾.com would be good for almost any Asian language. It can be used in China, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, & Asians residing in countries like the US, England etc.

Then you might have domains like 台湾.jp (I own this), this would cater to Japanese who would want to travel to Taiwan. I could see Japanese using the jp extension because it's common in Japan but wouldn't expect it to have a need outside of Taiwan embassy or Taiwan related travel services.

With the Taiwan.tw or 台湾.tw if you don't own it, it might be hard to get. In the case of Japan any city name, prefecture, or the country of Japan itself in jp is reserved for the government. This does not apply to any location outside of Japan.

I would assume that most countries did the same but could be wrong.

I'd also look at http://tw.yahoo.com/
to see how common the extension is in use within the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom