Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Create A Hosting Comany

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Untill now I have soley been interested in domain names, but now I want to work more into the "hosting" world.

I understand I need a "sever" to provide hosting, and I don't care about how much they cost, money doesn't matter to me if its a hobby of mine. I hear they run from $5,000 to $50,000 +? So can you provide me a place where I can get a sever? I've heard something about this "Duel Exon". Once I get it, how do I let it host other sites, do I need software? Do I need another connection from my PC running to this server? How big is this thing? How do I get hosting on my server, do I pay someone to run it or do I not have to pay anything!? (heh thatd be great) other then the internet.

I know it sounds like im a total newb to this hosting world, but in reality I am!

Thanks so much for your time answering this :/ Hopefully you can open my understand a little bit! I hear the "server" industry really gets you the "dough" if you put lots of time into it.

=D

Thanks

Sincerely (Yes not the regaurding crap)

Duncan

I know I spelled COMPANY wrong in the title, but ppl make mistakes! =D

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's best to pay start off as a reseller, then slowly increase to a dedicated server when you need one. You can pay monthly for managed servers, which alleviates some of the headache. I use unrestricted.net for adult hosting.

Try visiting webhostingtalk.com for in-depth info...

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
right, brn2h8

Get a $20 per month reseller account, start from there and you can eventually buy a server if you get enough paying customers

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan, based on the questions in your post I would recommend you get another PC at your house, install Red Hat or FreeBSD, get a good book (UNIX System Administration Handbook is a good one), install apache/mysql, and spend some time learning what goes on behind all the GUI.

Moondancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're happy with your hosting provider they also sell reseller plans.. I'd start with the smallest and work up from there. If you're not that happy with them as a host provider. I can recommend someone else, if you'd like.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be best to deal with a company that owns their own datacenter. Here's a few plans. If you contact a salesperson, you may be able to get them to waive the setup fee...

http://www.unrestricted.net/resell.shtml

Moondancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why the emphasis on who owns the data center? The data center could be a couple of boxes in a basement and still be called such. I would think it would be more important to advise him to go with someone with a proven track record rather than worry about if they own the data center.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
I know it sounds like im a total newb to this hosting world, but in reality I am!
I see that you are already selling web hosting right here at DNForum, only HOURS after your asking here for some advice. So I guess you must have already figured out something. ;)

Moondancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
I see that you are already selling web hosting right here at DNForum, only HOURS after your asking here for some advice. So I guess you must have already figured out something. ;)

works quickly doesn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom