Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Cut Your Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I apologize if there is a thread like this already.

I have been out of domaining for a while now and more into development. However, yesterday I was going through my accounts. I realized that a domain was missing. That account is connected with an email account that I no longer use. Therefore, I never got the warning messages. The domain ended up expiring and immediately going to auction where is it was sold.

This was a 500 dollar out of pocket mistake on my part and possibly more if an end user was found, simply because I did not update my email address.

I'm sure there are other domainers who this has happened to or some other event in life that caused them unable to renew the domain on time.

Because of my stupidity, I lost a 500 dollar domain name and cut my loss.

What was the highest amount that you paid for a domain that you accidentally let expire? Did you try to or end up getting it back?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't have such a story to share, however, a buyer who paid $2500 for a domain let it expire and it dropped. I emailed him a year later and he re-registered it.
Then, someone I know paid $10k for a domain and somehow let it expire; eNom owns it to this date.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose it's not only me with too much on my plate to forget about 500. Now everything is autorenewed.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a database with all domains and expiry dates, so I have an overview of domains coming up for renewal soon.
Never ever rely on the reminders from your registrar or you will lose domains.

Also, a lot of legitimate E-mail is trapped as spam and will never make it through.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, if you count the number of domains i've let drop on purpose

that cost would be much more than $500

the hurtful part is, when you get a $,$$$ offer for one of them... after it has dropped.

and that has happened recently.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Auto renew is the way to go, as long as you keep your credit card information updated. I recently sold a name to someone through SEDO auction for $1,150 and have since learned that the buyer was the original owner, who accidentally let it expire...Ouch. To good of a name to let it drop and I ended up being the only bidder to get it. It is certainly worth combing those lists!

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this has happened to nearly every one of us and one point in time or another. This once happened to me for a website I actively advertised on adwords. The registrar (one of those small no-name operations used to drop catch) did not actually renew the domain when I paid for the renewal and was charged for it. Instead they kept the money and let it drop anyway.. unfortunate but I don't believe that registrar is still in business anymore.

Other than that, everyone can cut down on problems stemming from registrar negligence to your own forgetfulness by periodically consolidating your names at a handful of registrars. Its a lot of work, but worth it.

DTalk

DomainMan
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Slightly different angle...

I wrote to the owner of 'mylastname' .com with an offer to buy it....No response....A year later, I wrote again - with a higher offer for the domain....No response...

Two years later, the owner let it drop - and I snatched 'mylastname' .com up for $69!

...and, you know what?....I don't feel at all bad for the previous owner.....The previous owner lost out on a handsome offer because they weren't paying attention - or, through stupidity - both/either of which costs you.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think this has happened to nearly every one of us and one point in time or another.

Speak for yourself, it hasn't happened to me... Every domain that dropped from my Registrar accounts was intended to drop, maybe it's because I monitor my accounts more than others.

And I do agree with you 100% in reference to consolidating your domains, I use a total of 2 Registrars now, down from the 8 I had at one time.

And as Biggedon pointed out, the money saved from these drops FAR more exceeds $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom