Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Cybersquatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

_Yakov_

A company let a domain expire now wants it back.
As I understand they have no rights on the domain although it's trademarked. Right?
What if I offer them to buy it? If they file a law suit, would my purchase offer make sense ?

Also, can anyone explain what approximate charges the legal procedure involve?
If the aggressor looses the case what money does the winning party loose in defending itself? Or does the losing party have to cover all the cost inluding the legal fees of the winning party (e.g. pay the fees for the lawer(s) who was hired to defend the case)?

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by _Yakov_
As I understand they have no rights on the domain although it's trademarked. Right?

Where did you come to this understanding? You might try to argue that they gave up rights, but if they have the trademark and you can't come up with a good reason to own it yourself then their rights probably still trump yours.

What if I offer them to buy it? If they file a law suit, would my purchase offer make sense ?

If you offer to sell it, then you just did something lots of places would consider bad faith, proving you have no right to the name in their eyes.

If the aggressor looses the case what money does the winning party loose in defending itself?

Depends if it was a lawsuit or a UDRP decision, and how much you spent on lawyers.

Or does the losing party have to cover all the cost inluding the legal fees of the winning party (e.g. pay the fees for the lawer(s) who was hired to defend the case)?

Depends. But if you think you are likely to win, or that the winners will be complied to pay you for the money you spent defending yourself, my guess is that you are probably mistaken in both beliefs -- just going by my gut instnct from what little you have said.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

WRONG. TRADEMARK RIGHTS GENERALLY FLOW FROM USE. IF THE COMPLAINANT HAS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK, IT HAS PRESUMED VALIDITY.

What if I offer them to buy it?

THAT IS TEXTBOOK 'BAD FAITH' UNDER THE UDRP AND THE ACPA.

If they file a law suit, would my purchase offer make sense ?

NO, IT WOULD BE MOOT. THEY WILL HAVE INVESTED IN THE SUIT.

A UDRP COSTS A FEW GRAND. A LAWSUIT COSTS TEN TIMES THAT AT A MINIMUM.

CYBERSQUATTERS FACE POTENTIAL LIABILITY OF $100,000 PER DOMAIN UNDER THE ACPA.

If the aggressor looses the case what money does the winning party loose in defending itself?

THE DEFENDANT IS OUT IT'S OWN LEGAL FEES.

Or does the losing party have to cover all the cost inluding the legal fees of the winning party (e.g. pay the fees for the lawer(s) who was hired to defend the case)?

NORMALLY, LEGAL FEES ARE PAID BY THE RESPECTIVE PARTIES. IN EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES, A PLAINTIFF CAN GET A JUDGMENT FOR LEGAL FEES AGAINST A CYBERSQUATTER.

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, AND THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cowboy, that was good.

Of course the merits of their claim depend in part on the strength of the trademark, so that is an unknown here.

It is extremely rare for the defendant to recover legal fees and costs. If the plaintiff's claim is at all non-frivolous, the prevailing defendant is not going to be awarded fees. The only time this happened in a domain name case was in cello.com:

www.johnberryhill.com/cello

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom