Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dang! Just how many real estate gTLDs are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hard to build a successful business if there are too many alternative extensions in the same industry... best to just stick with .com

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very true also of the .photography, .camera, .photo, .pics and so on. Did different registrars honestly think it was going to be profitable to create a new tld from a variant of the root word?

.web, .net, .website, and so on.

Suddenly the internet is nothing but overcrowded real estate.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
true, and some of these extensions are so long they just become a nuisance.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do we really need so many TLDs, especially overlapping TLDs ?
Let's be serious, is this meant to be a beauty contest ? I feel sorry for the registrants.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm holding out for .realestaterealtyhomepropertiesforsale
Its got all 5 top keywords in one, so will be 5X better!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Do we really need so many TLDs, especially overlapping TLDs ?
Let's be serious, is this meant to be a beauty contest ? I feel sorry for the registrants.

The reasoning behind these, is that when faced with competition about a gTLD application, some applicants decide to opt for another string altogether instead of fighting it or going through an auction process. In other cases, the market is large enough to sustain a larger number of gTLDs.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there are simply so many options that end users won't need to buy from domainers anymore.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like they just used a multilingual thesaurus, which some will regret not taking the auction route because even at a higher price the BP is achievable for very few of the alternate forms. Look at Donuts, Inc. counting application fees only, they made a nice ROI so far.

Galxie

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.com is KING ! I will not be investing in anything other than .com . I might consider .net or .org but with so many new extensions I see the value of .net and .org slowly going down the drain. Just my opinion.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there are simply so many options that end users won't need to buy from domainers anymore.

I go back to a statement I previously made: good salespeople can sell a hamburger to a vegetarian. This can go both ways, but creating a nice infographic on dot com and the authority it holds can help sell the cream of the crop (com) to end users. Sell at wholesale now to free up assets and collect cash for all these wonderful sunrises. :)

I'm just holding out for com's to plummet, snatch them up cheap and double it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW, who's bidding up to 200k on flowers.house? :lol:

(I know it's been debunked, but fits better than .mobi at least)

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

there are so many extensions that people will gravitate more towards the dot com - it is known and less confusing for the public... unfortunately I think the other existing gtld's (info, net, org) may suffer a bit.

the new extensions will be picked up by speculators, scammers, TM holders and small mom & pop sites.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
End users already had plenty of alternatives. Somebody who doesn't want to pay more than regfee for a domain will always find a way, a longer domain, a creative domain, or an alt extension, or a rebranded ccTLD.
New extensions are not the answer to the scarcity of good domains. Why ? Because good domains are domains in desirable extensions. The new extensions are not even second choice. A few may take off, but the shortage of serious development in alt TLDs is going to remain the dominant pattern.

Keep watching the reported sales. That's all you need to know.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll leave the speculating to you youngsters, I'm going on a nostalgia trip to peyton.place and bleak.house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom