Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Data Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaGa

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that when you apply to domain parking companies like Fabulous, TrafficZ, etc, to open an account, they ASK for your complete portfolio of names and also ask you to REGISTER your user id and password, EVEN BEFORE you have been APPROVED.

This is a VERY CRITICAL issue as:
1. Registering a user id and password BEFORE approval is NOT good, as NOW your password is knowm to the company and its employees ALONGWITH your domain registration and contact details. If the password is same as the one used to access your domains with the registrar, one is screwed. Even if it is different, it gives an idea of the type and kind of passwords that you keep.

The CORRECT way is to register your ID and PASSWORD AFTER you have been approved by the domain parking company.

2. Even though you may have domains by proxy on your whois data, your registration details are open to the domain parking company, as you have to provide it at the time of registration.

This ACT itself compromises the privacy of the domain owner.

Just imgaine all this supposedly private registration info is on an open database SHARED between parking companies and god knows WHO else.

Domain Days 2024

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see the difference, whether they have your password before or after you have been approved.

The issue is that you shouldn't be using the same password on all your sites anyways.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, when you park your domain, the parking company knows anyway that you are the owner, how else would they associate the traffic of that domain with an account? and yeah..start using differnt passwords..

maxo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Data Privacy is indeed important issue, but I doubt it should be placed under "Sedo.com" section.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Gold Cafe.

In regard to your post, they will get your password anyways... either before or after you have been approved. What's the difference?

Just use different passwords if you do not trust the parking services.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that this general issue is important. I know that some domain name registrars, parking companies, web hosting companies, and e-mail providers often do not use encryption as much as they should on their web forms and other places as well.

Also, some of them send plain text e-mails with both user names and passwords together in one message.

I have found the domaining industry to be medium security usually.

Companies (and even some organizations) out there that are reading this post, I suggest that you hire a company that you trust to test your security and privacy; or pretend that you are visiting your website for the first time and join up as an customer, affiliate, or whatever and take note of all of the things that could go wrong if someone nefarious was packet sniffing or whatever.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best practice would command the use of encrypted passwords. In fact any service provider should not even know your password or have it in clear in their database. But it also boils down to how much you trust them.
The issue gets critical when many people tend to use the same password/login for other sites. A rogue employee or a hacker could then compromise your belongings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom