Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Deadline for transferring away

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbengal

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there an official (ICANN) deadline for transferring domains away to another registrar? For instance, if a domain is due to expire at 11PM on 1APR, can it be transferred away to another registrar if the transfer is initiated at 10PM?

What is the shortest PRACTICAL time before expiry when a domain transfer can be safely executed?

Transferring away from GoDaddy, eNOM, TuCows etc.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on the registrar. With netsol I believe you may not transfer away if the names expires in less than 1 week.

elitedomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have wondered this myself which is of course why i clicked on the thread LOL

I can tell you that Godaddy allows you to "push" domains to another Godaddy account AFTER the domain has expired... for several days after... not sure exactly how long though.

D

Deleted member 5660

I don't think there is any ICANN deadline. A domain can be transferred up to the moment it is deleted, even if it is expired. I used to have a Tucows reseller business and they would allow transfers after expiration when there was a problem. I think any deadline is set by the registrar who has the domain.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you transfer a domain out, it keeps it's current expiration date unless the registrar requires another year added on (I think most to all do unless it's a transfer between two accounts with the same registrar).

So, no matter when you do it, you won't lose any time.

wbengal

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, no matter when you do it, you won't lose any time.

Losing time was not my concern.

I was (am) more concerned with whether I can afford to risk initiating a transfer away to a less expensive / better registrar when I have only a day or two before the expiry date with the current (and more expensive / worse) registrar.

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is INITIATE the transfer request and have it acknowledged prior to expiration

According to ICANN, QUOTE:
"Registrars are prohibited from denying a domain name transfer request based on non-payment of fees for pending or future registration periods during the Auto-Renew Grace Period"

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-03apr08.htm

If this is correct and current (As it looks to be) a registrar MUST allow you to transfer a domain away
up to 30 days after the expiration date

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no deadline, under the current ICANN regulations you are allowed to transfer your domain even after it has expired. Some registrars will try to stop this but they aren't allowed to. When your domain expires it goes into a 45 day renewal grace period and you are allowed to transfer your domain during this time. Basically, unless the domain has gone into the Redemption period you are allowed to transfer it. If your registrar is not allowing this have your new registrar contact ICANN.

Draggar you are wrong about the adding of time when a domain transfers, this is not the choice of the registrar this is done by the registry. Every registrar transfer adds another year to the domain with the exception of a few ccTLD's.

muris

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some say 5 working days is safe.
(if less you may be forced to renew it first and than you'll be able to transfer away)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom