Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Dedicated Server Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am researching dedicated server space. Looking for a smaller package from what I can tell. Looking for an reliable host. Not a small company. Someone who has been around for a while even if I have to pay a few extra bucks per month.

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't stand rackspace (can't read a web page on their site without a pop-up). Check out iWeb, we have a larger server with them and are about to purchase additional large servers. They have fiber with Cogent, who we have about 10 years of experience with directly from fiber of our own.

My $0.02

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't stand rackspace (can't read a web page on their site without a pop-up). Check out iWeb, we have a larger server with them and are about to purchase additional large servers. They have fiber with Cogent, who we have about 10 years of experience with directly from fiber of our own.

My $0.02

You really are satisfied with IWeb. I've always heard negative comments about them. They are quite cheap.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

I use PowerVPS - Defender hosting. Top quality, but not cheap.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, I would recommend stay away from dedicated server.
Too much to maintain and it is a pain when the server is hacked or DOS attack. (Unless they provide managed dedicated server which I doubted).
I am very good at Linux/Unix but it is not worth the hassle.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Softlayer.com are the best.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, I would recommend stay away from dedicated server.
Too much to maintain and it is a pain when the server is hacked or DOS attack. (Unless they provide managed dedicated server which I doubted).
I am very good at Linux/Unix but it is not worth the hassle.

Good luck!
Sorry to humbly disagree. All problems I've had with my server I've taken care of myself or with customer support.

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When we first needed a larger server for a new project (we already had a smaller...well, older...dedicated server with Verio, which is far overpriced for what they offer) I was paranoid about anyone. At the time, I didn't find much bad said about iWeb and decided to give them a go month-to-month in case it was bad. Mainly, we have a dedicated 10 Mbps connection with them on the server I mentioned and I assumed that this was going to be a "Dedicated" connection in words only and we would just be mixed in on an over-subscribed 100 Mbps or Gige line. But, we max out everything we use so immediately ramped it to 100% usage and it has stayed there most of the time. Seeing that we actually had that we paid for earned them some points as far as our business as much of hosting is just lip service (ie: dedicated servers that are really not, dedicated bandwidth that is just throttled to that and put on an overly full line). The other thing we liked, was the Cogent thing.

Having said that, no warranties expressed or implied. There is always the chance we got lucky (a stopped clock it right twice per day!) and the larger servers we will be setting up may turn out to be a disaster....if so I can guarantee you will hear about it here. But as-is, that's who we will be going with for our next needs....but I do miss running off Cogent directly....nothing like your own servers.

DC20

You really are satisfied with IWeb. I've always heard negative comments about them. They are quite cheap.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

I use PowerVPS - Defender hosting. Top quality, but not cheap.

xrvel

Hi there !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard iweb but never use it.
I use wiredtree now.
No problem this far.

Profithost

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There just are so many great companies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom