Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Dedicated V's VPS V's Reseller

Status
Not open for further replies.

loho27

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've bean reading these threads for awhile now and I would just like to highlight a couple of usefull tips regarding all of the above.

I have been hosting for over nine years and have been burnt by the biggest and the best.

Here Go's

1). Never host all your sites at the one place. If they go down so does your business.

2). Always use your own nameservers. If you want to shift hosts, you only have to change 2 settings.

3) The price of a VPS will always give you a better machine than a dedicated server.
Don't let your ego get in the way of common sense.

4) DYOR do your own research.

Look for how many IP's on the same address. How many sites on the same address.

5) If the hosting company does not have a phone number on there site and you can not talk to a tech.
Do Not Deal With Them

6) Be location specific, especially for GEO domains 5 hops is always better than 30

7) Reseller hosting is a great starting place, work on buying 2 gigs of space, 20 gigs BW, you will always get this on EBAY for about 10 dollars a month REMEMBER 1 and 5

8) Always stick with the same Control Panel that way migrations and backups are very simple.

9) When dealing with support always assume that you are dealing with an 8 year old and explain exactly what is wrong and what measures you have taken to fix the problem.
If not you will end up with an autoresponder answer or worse being treated like a 5 year old.

10) If your hosting company goes down, commence migration immediately, contrary to assurances and 99.9% up-time guarantees, things will not get better.

11) Finally avoid Windows Servers, they will always cost you more in the long run for very marginal benefits.

If you have any more, please add.

Kind Regards

loho27

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can see your point Stock Post there is nothing like the auto responder efficiency.

The phone number to me is very important, it shows that as a company or person they are prepared to stand up and back their product or service.

It is very reassuring to know, that if needed, you can have issues fixed immediately.

I once dealt with a company (still do) called MD Web hosting that used to charge by the minute. I phoned them once, got an urgent problem sorted in less than five minutes ( worth the $14.00 in phone charges) but saved me a heap of grief from clients.

The phone number is a critical part of doing business these days, just recently I threw up a traffic site in the New Years break, 2 months later I'm averaging 3 phone calls a week, from that site.

The same site has received 1 email inquiry. I convert 1 in every 2 phone calls into a $100 sale.

The phone is getting more and more powerful as the dollars are getting tighter and tighter.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom