Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Defining Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simsi

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

One thing that really really winds me up is how everyone (well not you obviously ;)) thinks their domains are premium. The amount of time I waste reading threads that claim to have "premium" names that turn out to be anything but :upset:

Anyway, strikes me the problem is a lack of definition. Could we not have a forum, like the appraisals forum but quicker, where peers can classify a domain for people? Just where you lump it into categories like:

Premium (drop.com etc)
Platinum (perhaps for premium words in other TLDs)
Gold (strong variations on premium like dropped.com, dropping.com)
Silver (strong 2/3 word variations .com)
Bronze (strong 2/3-word variations in other TLDs)
Tin (Bollocks domains)

Or perhaps we can simply provide definitions among ourselves to simplify things.

I dunno...but something should be done IMO.

Cheers,

Ian

Upvote 0

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The way I define premium is based on the number of ads that people use and the amount ($) that the particular keywords charge. For example, if you search on google for mobile phone, you will see how many people use the term mobile phone to match their ads. Then check to see how much they cost. I would say a domain is premium if the keyword costs over $1 per click. :)

I know many people don't agree and that this might not always work. But at least that's what I use to determine values of my domains.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simsi,

Bottom line is you can't. One seller’s junk is another buyer’s treasure. A domain is what you put into it. If you look at a domain and says it has no value then it doesn’t.

When you see a domain and want to turn it into something that will make money you will. I don’t have to sell a domain name that someone else deems Premo because frankly I don’t care what anyone else thinks.

If I can take a domain from scratch and turn it into something that makes $XX,XXX per month are you still going to say that this is not a premium domain? If I bought it for $20.00?

Simsi

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simsi,

Bottom line is you can't. One seller’s junk is another buyer’s treasure. A domain is what you put into it. If you look at a domain and says it has no value then it doesn’t.

When you see a domain and want to turn it into something that will make money you will. I don’t have to sell a domain name that someone else deems Premo because frankly I don’t care what anyone else thinks.

If I can take a domain from scratch and turn it into something that makes $XX,XXX per month are you still going to say that this is not a premium domain? If I bought it for $20.00?

Yeah fair point I guess. Was on a grrrrr-roll after seeing what I would term rubbish being touted at stupid prices lol. The registrars must be laughing all the way to the bank. The ironic part is the biggest market for the domains we domainers register is....domainers :D

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It drives me insane too. Not so much here because there has to be a domain in the title, but in other marketplaces (eBay!!) it's seriously over-used as a way to bait people to read the sales thread. Buyers know if a name is premium or not - writing "premium" in the title or description doesn't affect a buyer's choice. If I see "premium", expecting a high quality name only to find crap, I'm even less inclined to buy than if the seller had just been honest and not tried to dupe me.

I'd suggest instead of trying to define it, ban the use of it. Put it in the "censored words" list so anyone who writes "premium" just gets stars instead:

Whilst I agree with the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" philosophy, a quick search on here for threads with the "P" word in the subject reveals a mass of truly cringe-worthy domains.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real premium domains don't need to be advertised as premium.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real premium domains don't need to be advertised as premium.

That's probably the best description of "premium domains" I've seen. Nicely put.

I

impactadmin

Its something that will always happen because it helps draw attention to the name.

However, not all domains are premium, but i tend to agree with polish that in some cases what may be a non-premium name to someone, may actually be a premium to someone else.

You will have filter through them and analyze this for yourself in many cases.

domainqueenie

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's probably the best description of "premium domains" I've seen. Nicely put.
No kidding. It's like being a Realtor, walking your client through the house with an exclamation at every turn - Here's the kitchen, bathroom, as if. I am new, but have decided to place only the domain name itself in the heading. Just good marketing!

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its like asking a mother to say her newborn baby isnt beautiful, most are ugly but to their mother their beautiful, or like on american idol, 90 percent cant sing yet really beleive they have a chance to be the next idol, they all think there made up piece of junk is gonna take the world by storm, after their credit card maxes out you wont see them posting premium anymore because regs will have expired, oh wait some sucker just picked it up on the drop, here we go again

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think domainers should even be alllowed to use the word "premium" since all it is is marketing, lol. If another domainer can't tell the difference between premium and junk, than he/she probably won't be in the business long. Just IMO....

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I like the term "high-octane" better than "premium". :)

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

if you took BoyFunkyMan.com and turned it into a xx,xxx per month domain, that does not make BoyFunkyMan.com a premium domain, it just makes it a profitable site- two different things- if this was the case, paris hilton would have known what walmart was-

to me, there is just one type of true premium- the true, generic dictionary noun/verb-
Bird.com, Car.com, Book.com, Run.com, Sing.com etc-

that is premium. these words cant be disputed at all- there is no twist on them- CarSales.com may be hotter then hell, but i see that as a top shelf name- not premium-

just my opinion-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom