Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Delete your own posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea for users to be able to delete their own threads. Perhaps just in the "Domains For Sale" and "Domain Apprasials" forum. I'm sure a lot of users would like this.

RMF

Upvote 0
S

Sammy

Agree and should be set now. Please let me know if you find any bugs with it. Thanks.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not delete. That would be bad. With DELETIONs valuable input, ideas, and information dissappear from the board forever. Others may benefit from these posts.

Let people "CLOSE" their own threads. Makes a lot of sense. Even if just in the "FOR SALE" or "APPRAISALS" forum. That'd be nice. Maybe even in the "DOMAINS WANTED" forum. Those always seem to drone on and on LONG after the original poster write "found what I wanted, stop posting please". They "reactivate" months later too.

Good idea, RMF.

~ Nexus

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nobody should delete a thread for any reason.

Users already have the ability to edit their posts and adding the ability to close their thread would be great.

In additon to the reasons posted by nexus....

A lock keeps honest people honest...providing the ability to delete threads will only give rise to potential misdeeds by those who would use the tool as a way to hide from their own public stupidity and shams.

It's the simple fact that there is a permanent record of REPLIES to these people that keeps the community members safe.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just did a test. I can delete my own posts, but not the first post of a thread.

I think your right Nexus, about how posts can benefit other users.

But, I think users should be allowed to remove their own threads, but only in the "Domain Apprasial and Domain For Sale" forum. I think being able to remove them would be more beneficial to the creators of the thread.

As for the Wanted Forum, I think users should be allowed to close the thread(If they can't already). It would be good to be able to keep those threads around because if somebody has a similar request down the road, they can go there and see what others have already posted.

RMF

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, a post can't be deleted if it has replies. It can only be deleted if NO ONE has replied to it. :)

This way, you can delete a post if you put it in the wrong forum, etc... It will actually help the mods.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
excellent! thanks for clarifying that Mr. GD

(getting tough to say anything around here without fear of banishment - platinum members seem to be dropping like flies - thought I was walking on a thin line with that post)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On reflection I guess it's pretty irrelevant anyway as anyone can go back and edit out what they said before.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A "thread" cannot be deleted, because that would be deleting not only your posts, but other's.

A "post" can ONLY be deleted if it has NO replies. For example, you cannot delete your post now, because I just replied.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How long after a post is it possible to edit out - any time limit?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
On reflection I guess it's pretty irrelevant anyway as anyone can go back and edit out what they said before.

exactly ;)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
Originally posted by GiantDomains
exactly ;)
Well... I disagree. Having someone's post with its content modified out, saying "modified on yada yadaa date" makes a LOT more sense than seeing "NOTHING" where their post was.

When I see an editted post, I can see that someone changed their mind on something... a position, an offering... but there is a least a record that they responded or said something. If you DELETE a post, there is NO record that you ever said anything at all. If this doesn't seem important to the admins or mods, I'll understand, but in my opinion it underminds the integrity of the forum. I've actually come back to posts before where people are talking to "ghosts", and the whole conversation is talking around a post that no-longer exists, and feels like some bizarre enigma as to who or what is being referred to.

Deleting posts outright (unless it is a moderated decision) causes confusion. Conversely, I do not necessarily agree with the decision of some message boards to remove one's ability to edit a post after a certain period of time either. While understandable (for similar reasons I've stated), it definitely removes a degree of individual control, while sending a harder message of "watch what you type, you may not be able to take it back".

The only benefit I see to "deleting" posts over simply "closing" them, is the ability to remove accidental "duplicates". I think people should be able to delete posts they make within 5 minutes of creating them, but no more.

Lastly... deleting a "SINGLE" post seems to DEFEAT the purpose of what RMF was asking for. If I post a domain for sale, and the sale is now closed... if anyone replied to me, I still couldn't delete my post. Worst, if I asked for an "appraisal", and I wanted the appraisals to stop... I still couldn't change anything with a deletion, even if I deleted the LEAD message, and not the replies. People would think the first reply was the person that posted the message. The thread title would still be intact, and "quotes" may even be in there to perpetuate the thread further.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom