Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dev Null for Nameservers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there like a /dev/null for nameservers or is there a rule against that? I put my nameservers as duhuid.hsdg978fsg97dhgf9ds.com * 2 on GD and next thing you know, they're back to ns*.domaincontrol.com.

This morning we had a 6.7 and I own the disaster domain geotsunami.com. Forgetting to post a message asking this after noticing months ago, I immediately changed it to Sedo parking after the quake waiting for the warning to come on my phone (since I'm 1M sea level). I don't want the money from it, but regged it about a year ago right after a significant earthquake that we had accompanied by a tsunami warning (none was issued for this one) because I noticed the prior registrant had dropped it after no tsunami hit Okinawa in the devastating 2011 Japan earthquake.

I don't want to be a "disaster domainer" but at the same time, my thoughts were I didn't want GD to get a penny of the revenue from it either.

I also don't want to point it to my server, because honestly, I don't know the flood of traffic it would get within seconds of a major quake, to tsunami and the aftermath- causing my own server to go down.

I've tried various nameservers that don't resolve, but they keep being changed back to domaincontrol.com.

It seems that someone must collect the revenue and having an executor of state already, I know that the Sedo funds (if anything significant) would go where they need to sobeit. Otherwise, I would keep the revenue however little or big and do something locally with it.

I would rather have a '/dev/null' so I have a 'clean name' (because these words could obviously mean bloat to someone else) and just keep the domain so that some other a$$hole doesn't bet my life on a couple cents (to couple thousand, don't know how much these things get when they're big).

Thanks! :eek:k:

Domain summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No you cannot. You must have a name server for each of the domain name so DNS can perform a look up and translate to the actual I address of the server.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I suppose I'll keep it at Sedo if they accept it then. At least a human being will have control over it if something happens or instead of robots.

I will take offers on it though if I know the end user will put it to practical use. It is a commonly used name. Believe it or not Marine Corps Community Services (Morale Welfare Recreation/MWR) on base for the military used to have a scuba diving shop named Tsunami. Only one could refer to it as Okinawa Tsunami. It's now called SCUBA Gear, probably to be politically correct and that application may be the same for a couple more years (opening and naming a bar Tsunami right on the beach in Japan)... :rolleyes:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can point to your own DNS (you can create one) with fake IP addresses (make sure the fake addresses are not the real ones from other sites) which will result in an error when someone trying to access the site.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll try that one with PEER1's DNS. They can handle the overload. Never thought about that, just making up random nameservers... Thanks! :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Holy Hell. Another 2-3 second huge tremor. I think we may get one... :disappointed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators