Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Develop It! vs. Dump It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been on the internet since 1994, and involved with domains in some way or another since 1997. One thing that seems to be a consistent mistake made by newbies and the naive alike, is choosing to develop, when all signs point to DUMP.

This is especially apparent in the appraisal threads on this forum. Countless times a crappy domain will be appraised at $0.00-reg. by half those replying, and the other half are urging the registrant to develop that crappy domain!! This is exactly the issue I want to now address.

Although it is often the case that generally, websites (with real content) are worth more than naked domain names alone. However, another reality often overlooked is, a crappy domain name with no clothes on, is just as ugly dressed! Let me further explain my point.

ANY DOMAIN NAME CAN BE DEVELOPED, this is a no brainer. However, why spend time, money, and resources on an extreme makeover, when you can develop a domain that is already a natural born beauty? The old saying, "choose your battles", applies very well to this context. If the consensus is that you have a crappy domain name, then by all means, DUMP THE CRAPPY DOMAIN! Don't make the mistake of pouring money and resources into a domain name that is already standing on just one leg; your time is too valuable to be wasted on fixer uppers!

We are not dealing with real estate here, we are dealing with domain names. In real estate you can get a good deal on a fixer upper, gut it, and then resell that piece of property with all its capital improvements for a profit. With domain names, location IS everything. If your domain is located in ugly-ass.vu namespace, then all the gutting and development in the world will never change that fact!

So, go ahead and take that perfect idea you think you have for that not so perfect name, and do your magic to turn the domain into a full functioning content rich website. But, when visitors don't come knocking, just remember you are where you started....yup, go ahead look around....uh huh, that's right my friend; you're just one block south of The-Local-Gunsmith.cc, and kitty corner from FranksBigLiquor.bz, in "Namespace Ghetto". :emba:

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom