Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

developing a .info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions...

I am well on my way to developing my newest website, and I have a pretty good .info name, but I am wondering if .info is popular enough to become effective, will people go to the .com version of my domain? I want to get a .com for this site, but I havent found anything great yet.

Will a .info work or should I just forget it and find a .com

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the site about? If it's basically an informational site or possibly information about a commercial product then the .info would be fine - you are going to have to develop and market the site, whatever domain you use.
However if it is basically a true commercial site then probably better to try and find a .com

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have a really good .info domain I would go ahead and develop it. I plan to do one myself. .info is slowly but surely creeping into the public consiousness. The State of California just chose a .info over the .com for a statewide anti-litter campaign. There are now billboards going up that feature the URL DontTrashCalifornia.info (the .com wasn't even registered until today when I took it after getting the news from my good friend Howard Hoffman who saw one of the billboards near Sacramento. By the way Howard, if you change your mind about wanting the .com it is yours. I knew someone would grab it after the news got out so I decided to go ahead and secure it).

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GT Web

Will a .info work or should I just forget it and find a .com

I think the second part of your sentence is the right answer.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.Info .. why not ?

Why would they go to the .com ? They will be LOOKING at your link ..they will be "clicking" on yoursite.info .. So how are they going to go to the .com?

Lets say a few do go to the .com .. so what ?

I would worry less about the extension and more on the content of your website..

good luck ..

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Serious question about this: When searching at Google, how many people do you truly think look at the EXTENSION to determine whether to click or not? My guess would be close to zero!

Personally, I don't think I have ever done that. I care about the CONTENT of the google return, NOT the extension.

WebCat

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the domain is coolcars.info - short, easy to remember and nicely descriptive...

The problem isnt links, its word of mouth, I know first hand how much this can happen, my old site, fast-autos.com got 500 hits per day from people looking for fast-autos.net (it had been developed for a while, very popular site)

I just dont want people to find my site, say, oh, thats cool, and then go to www.coolcars.com when they want to go back to my site....

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT, I think the key to this is content. I believe most people search looking for specific content. If they can go to your coolcars.info, and you have developed it into the content they want, they will stay.

Here's a good example: I was recently looking on the internet for a vacation place for my girlfriend and I to get away to for a few days- either a beach house or a mountain cabin.

I got like 82,000 returns from Google, and out of the 50 or 60 I clicked on, at least half had complete crap for content, and I was gone in 15 seconds! But I never once looked at the extension before clicking, only the description line from the Google returns.

So if you want people to come there and stay awhile, content is king!

WebCat

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Webcat, I understand that, and the site is nowhere near complete. It will have very good content before it is done, right now all I have done is the design and a couple test pages. I just want to make sure some potential return visitors can remember its a .info....

I know also have a nice .com that I found unreg'd....I have to think about whether I should go pick that one up

M

mole

Originally posted by GT Web
know first hand how much this can happen, my old site, fast-autos.com got 500 hits per day from people looking for fast-autos.net (it had been developed for a while, very popular site)

Strange thing here too, one of my .com domains has much more type-in in its .net incarnation. And I paid good money for that .com and peanuts for the .net.

I agree its all about development. Build it and they will come. Build it well, and your type-ins will always be a bountiful harvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom