Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Developing versus Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycexposfan

Level 3
Reaction score
I have 25 domain names parked at Sedo and have been disappointed by the great fluctuations in $/click, which have made my revenues go from several $/day to cents/day. I note that many people encourage "developing a site" as the ultimate goal. My questions are:

1. Can you essentially have a site that looks like a parked page, except you put the advertisers you want on the site? If this is possible, how do you get the advertisers?

2. If this is not possible, how expensive is it to get a web designer to develop a site that will generate advertising revenues?

Thanks very much.

nycexposfan

Level 3
Reaction score
What is YPN? Who decides on the ad? What is a filter? Finally , what is a member gt web?

Thanks - as you can see, I am very much a newbie in this sector....

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I think domain development is better than parking in 80-90% of cases. I can't advertise my services here (but thanks to Danie| for posting that link) but your returns will always be higher going directly through Google than going through a middle man.

msl

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT is spot on get some content with lots of interesting keywords that everyday people look for on google and then ad LOADs of affiliate links in html we have NO adsense on any domains and find that selective affiliation with a 50-75% split on selling one product per month is better than ANY click income! less hastle and no updates needed on content! :whoo:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...or you could just use RSS (as I do) so content updates automatically.

Manolete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
50-75% is so high, isn't it? Which niches if you can tell?

GT is spot on get some content with lots of interesting keywords that everyday people look for on google and then ad LOADs of affiliate links in html we have NO adsense on any domains and find that selective affiliation with a 50-75% split on selling one product per month is better than ANY click income! less hastle and no updates needed on content! :whoo:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Parking is great for the others.

Lets look at the numbers.

Lets say you have a name with on 10-15 visits per day (most people consider this low traffic).

It gets, on average, 5 clicks per day.

SEDO pays you $0.05 per click, while going direct through Adsense pays you at least $0.15 per click.

In this situation, you are making an additional $0.50 per day, meaning you could pay for a $15 developed site in about a month.

And thats for a very low traffic domain.

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Develop your domains with heavy traffic first.

Parking is great for the others.

What good is parking a domain that isn't getting much traffic? I thought developing helps domains that don't get much type in or SE traffic. Wouldn't one want to develop the low traffic domains first, as long as they are decent domains with good keyword potential. Then they would also have a better chance at being indexed by Google than a parked page, which would hopefully bring more traffic.

Also domains that get good type in traffic usually make good money on their own. I think the guy who used to own Cellphone(s).com made over a grand a day with just a basic parked page. I realize that is not the norm though, at least not for me.

I think development is always the way to go unless one has a domain generating a lot of traffic, and even then it can be made more profitable with development. I kind of look at it like real estate. A vacant lot is not worth as much as a lot with a nice house on it. Now if that vacant lot is in a very desirable location it is worth much more obviously. Either way the $15 development adsense sites sounds like a good deal. I may have to look into it more.

I'm a big believer in affiliates too. I'll never forget when I made almost thirty bucks in one day from the sale of one product that I never had to handle or deal with. PPC can be good too, I've gotten a few three dollar clicks but those aren't that common anymore. Now it seems like your lucky to get a dime on all but the best keywords if your just parked.

Lots of money can be made as an affililate. I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. It's not easy but I think more and more people will be making a living in Cyberspace as time goes on.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless you find a GREAT affiliate program, I find they really dont work very well.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you find a GREAT affiliate program, I find they really dont work very well.

I agree that it's not easy. I've made a few sales but I think one has to have a few high traffic sites and good products to sell, no doubt about it.

I'm trying to incorporate adsense, affiliate sales and marketing, and whatever else I can think of.

I have a lot of respect for the people that do make a living either as domainer or and/or developers, I know it's not easy but once you get there it's probably pretty nice. :cool: I've still got lots to learn but I like what I see so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom