Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Development Idea

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
For years I have been trying to buy the domain running.ca and his week I finally got it :)
I have been running for years which I why I pursued this domain and was thinking to build a forum under vbulletin. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob

Domain summit 2024

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First off, congratulation Rob. I think whatever platform you run with, it will be a success. My thoughts are that running (no pun intended) a forum for running would be time consuming. However, if you devote your time I am certain it will monetize well. Best of luck

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The hardest part of the forum is starting it out as more members bring other members. The hardest part is creating the initial community. To do it well requires quite a bit of upfront capital. Good luck!

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats Rob, Great domain.

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for responses - going to try vbulletin as I had an old license, Agree lots of work - will see where it goes

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Update - Tried Vbulletin and was quickly and consistently overwhelmed by spam posters. Basically couldn't really approve any registrations without deep IP analysis. Russia / China / Ukraine etc. to the tune of dozens++ per day. I shut it down. I think forums are basically dead with all of the spamming going on.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, forums are tough to justify in the age of social media.

That is why most people start with blogs and become an authority voice in their niche.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you could possibly still do a forum style site. I would create a facebook page and direct members to the site and gear it towards information and a location based running meet up and race events. I have a few friends who are in to running and would love something like this.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Update - Tried Vbulletin and was quickly and consistently overwhelmed by spam posters. Basically couldn't really approve any registrations without deep IP analysis. Russia / China / Ukraine etc. to the tune of dozens++ per day. I shut it down. I think forums are basically dead with all of the spamming going on.

Yeah but there is a pattern to them. In a new forum (phpbb) there are few registrations so normal names or sayings are available. I could register gord or gordon etc. The spam posters use something like henrywright45637 or stuff like that. Easily identifiable. With that and setting the first few posts on moderate it can work. If the first posts are automated spam then I just do a mass account delete.

Here's a bunch I just pruned

rosalindel11, pearllo3, murielgf4, dianneki18, kendrazv2, caragg69, leonardoq16, alfredso2, hattieqd18, morgandq4, dannyap69, arlinehj4, robertea3, carlyje1, angeliarv1, bonitays2, bethanyjm69, eduardoyh4, priscilladv16, brittneyxf18, stephenwb11, coryqh2, bobbyrh2, claudiavz2, douglasdz60, codyon60, lilyuc1, jacquelynjh4

You can see the pattern above! No need to check the IP.

I also use the admin approval module. The email address (which usually doesn't really exist) has to respond and the accounts are not approved until they do. There is a section where the new registrations are and if they haven't responded after a week to the verify account email I just do a mass delete.

All together run properly it can take 20-30 minutes a week to handle. I'm proud to say I've only had one minor spam incident in 4 years.

The real difficulty in a forum is getting people to post. 1/100 there.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I also disallow Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail addresses which are responsible for most of the spamming. They get a message telling them to email admin for a manual setup. The ones that do come through are real people, not the spammers. You can then put a temporary OK on their address and allow them to register.

dynadot

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the domain! That's a great one word .CA and it sounds like it fits you well. :)

A forum or blog would probably fit well with the domain and your love of running. A blog is a little easier to get started, but you do have a great domain for a Canadian runner's forum too.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
(A year later from your post:oops:) I was looking at the site that you have up now Rob. How is it working out?

You haven't got any links to any running gear etc. Just curious why.

Nice clean easy to navigate site btw :)

Cheers,
Jim

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,
Just set this one up the last month or two. Currently just a wordpress blog. I am mainly focused on adding content at this point. Hopefully in a few months :)
Be nice to see it get picked up by the search engines. Learning WP has been fun :)
--Rob

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it would....good luck with it Rob!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators