Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Did You Ever Accidentally Let a Valuable Domain Expire and How Did You Recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've recently returned to domaining after a 3 year absence. I had walked away because I had accidentally let my most valuable domain expire, the one I loved the most. I know it's hard to believe but what happened was I had won it through a drop service (Namedropper or some such thing in 2003) and registered it for 5 or 6 years, and when it was renewal time, I didn't have the same email address and it was still on the registration service of some small registrar that had caught it, not on my Enom reseller. I couldn't even look at domains for several years as every domain reminded me of the one that got away. :sad:

Has anyone else done this or am I the only idiot on DNForum? How do you recover form this and get back on the horse?

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
*hit happens with everyone. Learn from your and other's mistakes. Keep moving. Renew really good ones for multiple years . Do not wait for last moment to renew. Have an email address which you will keep with you. Good luck.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*hit happens with everyone. Learn from your and other's mistakes. Keep moving. Renew really good ones for multiple years . Do not wait for last moment to renew. Have an email address which you will keep with you. Good luck.
Thanks bro. Some people are better at bouncing back after a tragedy like that, I envy that type.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've done this before and I feel your pain. I went out and bought a rather expensive though undervalued gem to make me feel better. It was like women and chocolate. Your post is also quite ironic as I have been consolidating to a single registrar this week and plan on consolidating all my domain names to a single date and having 1 single email registered for 10 years for all with a very strong password and no gmail or other free services.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
look at ur exp dates monthly unless u r an avid buyer and then should be weekly.. u get close to a mo's grace period. I ;earned the hard way too when i got pulled from domaining various times.. best question is.. Can we do tax write-offs on the valuable domains that expired.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah...I have some really embarrassing drops.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i just do not want to remember those few gems slipping away... it hurts :((
few , i got registering (fortunately), few backordered ( and got at 7-10 times the renewal price),
few on auction (at naturally high prices)

and few still not with me , but with new owners where either they are not interested in selling or counteroffer tooo tooo high!

its better to keep track, on a daily and in worst case scenario, weekly basis of all your domain accounts. 15-30 mins tedious activity - but it helps ..

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

Did you ever contact the new owner and try and get it back from them...

You mean Frank Schilling and Mike Mann? I have spoken with both...not about getting anything back though :)

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

Yup, and that's what made it doubly painful. I was so bummed I dropped off the scene. A year later I emailed the current owner to see if he'd sell first offering $4000, then higher...he's not selling. Just about killed myself when I google searched the domain, the current owner bought it on ebay from the guy who had caught it from me, for under $2000!!!!!! :frusty:

If I had been paying attention, instead of giving in to depression, I would have it back...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I had been paying attention, instead of giving in to depression, I would have it back...

I actually used it as a motivator...no need to beat yourself up. Are you able to share the name?

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With me it is the other way around.

I picked up a domain at namejet and was contacted by the previous owner who claimed he was on a business trip to Europe for 3 months and did not get time to renew. He was generous enough to offer me my purchase price plus $ 100.

Needless to say the domain stayed with me.

Hi

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would but then the current owner know how bad I want it back, making his price increase.

Ahh - I see...sounds like you are going to buy it back one way or the other...That may be the only way you can get back to sleep at night ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom