Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Discussion: How many uniques is .biz getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was on another forum today going through their "New TLD" section. One thread that stood out had a subject line: "Do you like .Biz, if not why?". There were some people for the domain, and obviously some against.

It's interesting to read some of the comments. A lot of "subjective", "gut feel" type stuff. Some examples: "I don't like it because it doesn't sound "professional to me"... or "I think once the new sTLD's come out, .biz will suffer".

After two years it's time to start throwing out the "hard" facts on the .biz name which is why I am offering a "screen shot" of my traffic on Anywhere.biz. A name I have not marketed (yet), and have not submitted to the search engines:

529 uniques - March 2004 - http://www.anywhere.biz/screen_shot_2.gif
468 uniques (with 6 days to go) - April 2004 - http://www.anywhere.biz/screen_shot.gif

Not bad for a "average" generic name. So there. This is what I think about .biz. Very little to disagree with here.

izopodian philsophy: If you want to prove a point to somone who doesn't have a clue, don't waste your time arguing with them. Just show them your hand.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no site really.. any links?
or is that actually generic typein traffic?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have one parked at Fabulous.com, stark.biz, that gets 500 uniques a month and earns over $100 a year in PPC. Have no idea why, but it was a pleasant surprise after registering it for $7. :)

As Izopod is well aware, I was down on .biz for a long time (part of the camp that thought the term was too unprofessional for serious business). It still doesn't have a lot of appeal to me personally, however in recent months I have sold a number of them (some as high as four figures) and it has been a profitable extension for me. I don't mind admitting that profitability will trump my personal tastes every time! :-D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
no site really.. any links?
or is that actually generic typein traffic?

no links. just plain ole' generic typein traffic.

M

mole

Duke said:
I was down on .biz for a long time (part of the camp that thought the term was too unprofessional for serious business).

If you want to really sound serious, maybe a .org. .mil, .gov or .edu will do the trick :)

.gov kinda sounds too mickey mouse to represent government bodies, and it verbally pronounces like some cockney slang for sir.

.org is worse, sounds like .organ, as in sex.organ, and verbally pronounces like some kind of ugly rotting creature from Middle Earth.

Funny thing though, both extensions have taken root to represent what Internet addressing stands for, and has become as conventional as WWW itself.

When I first started logging onto the Internet in 1995, I thought how silly this .com sounded like, felt .net was more professional and reflective of an Internet address. Even .web. Today, nobody likes to be called a dotcommer, it reflects a reflects a culture wrought with human excess and stupidity.

When Google.com first started, one would have thought it sounded totally unprofessional and was nothing more than a fad thing. If they wanted to go somewhere, they should have got Metasearch.com or something.

The Internet and its culture changes literally every year, with it, its accepted terminology on what's professional or what's not. Who would have thought the word 'blog' would hit mainstreet as an accepted Internet term for weblogging? Would you have registered blog.com back in 1997?

My point is simple. Keep your minds nimble to spot and develop opportunities way ahead of the crowd. Age does have a way of hardening the arteries in the brain :-D

M

mole

izopod said:
izopodian philsophy: If you want to prove a point to somone who doesn't have a clue, don't waste your time arguing with them. Just show them your hand.

I disagree. Slapping people on the face for disagreeing is, in my mind, rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom