Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

"dn" vs "name(s)" when "domainname" not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to open another similar thread to the one I already opened, but I think this one get directly to the point I want to asses.

If the "domainname" keyword is not available for a domain, what would you like better, the abreviation "dn" or the "name(s)" keyword?
For example, how does it sound "dnmarketplace.com" vs "namemarketplace.com" or if the singular version is not available, how bad sounds "namesmarketplace.com"?

Domain Days 2024

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally think you just have to think of what is best for your target user.
DN is short & domainers can remember it easily.
Domainname(Something) is a good SEO keyword but might be a bit long.
If your users are comfortable with a shorter version use it.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I might need to put more context to get more responses.

I own a "names+keyword.com" name, as you might imagine all "dn+mykeyword", "domainname+mykeyword" and "name+mykeyword" are taken. I think I was lucky to find the plural "names+keyword" unregged, since many others "names+mykeyword" are taken.

So, some guy own "dn+mykeyword" and he wants several thousands.
I'm hesitating if take my regged names+keyword domain and use those several thousands for design/promotion and including outsourcing the development of the site.
Or take that several thousands to that guy (he might be probably reading this, lol) and get the nicer (according to several opinions) "dn+keyword" and then sit at home endless nights in front the computer to get it done, since I've already spent the money on the name.

:greensad:

Since this website is for domainers, I take the choice of name very serious, but I don't have too much money to bee "toooo seriou$".

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Promote what you own, people will go to the best web product and or website. This is one thing I try to share with anyone that will listen, yes names are important but some of the best website have names we have never heard, they are fanciful terms. So, I say promote what you have and focus more on the end product, that is what you are provider the consumer. If the product is good, I will be there regardless of the name and or tld, I will find it and you can bet others will as well. Cheers,

Acro

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion.
Do you guys think that when professional domainers are the target audience would they pay more attention or give more credibility to a website based on a well choosen and targeted name?
Do you guys think dnforum would be equally succesfull if instead it was created on the domain "mydomainsforum.com" (tastelessly... and available, btw) ?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the reason people are here has nothing to do with the name but the community itself, i.e. the product. The name matters to a degree with searching and memory and some marketabilty, etc... but again overall google, ebay, amazon, Dell, all have nothing to do with their names it's their respective products & services that are outstanding. People will use what is good. Now whois.sc is awesome whois service so I use it and it relates well to the name but I would still use it if the name was mywhois.sc if it had the same front and back end. Eat and be merry with this info. Go forward and you will do well. Cheers,

Acro

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a good domain & but my members call my domain by a 4 letter acronym. Luckily the 4 letter domain owner had a sale for that domain. it was a low rate & spurred no interest, unfortunately I missed it.
He later contacted me offering to sell it for low X,XXX.
I think I was in the situation you're in. I declined.
He later put it on auction & I got it for low XXX

If you are the only one who might want the domain make a reasonable offer. You never know he might sell for a low XXX.

But I too think you might not need it. Concentrate on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom