Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Do any of you guys watch Shark Tank ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its been on about 2 years in the U.S., I overall enjoy the show, just curious if anyone here also watches or enjoys the show... If your familiar with the show it basically is a platform for a hopeful business person or maybe an inventor to pitch their idea, product, businesses model, to 5 different investors that have the cash to help their company grow in exchange for a %$$$$ of their action. :cool:

As it might relate to domains..

I have a only been interested in the world of domains for a handful of months, but since i caught the bug, I have learned the tremendous potential of the right (.com) name, right SEO and website that could make a huge impact on a new business.. What amazes me at this point that wouldn't have maybe 6 months ago, the lack of any or little domain planning on part of the people that come to the show seeking investments. They will literally be asking for a 6 figures most of the time and some have a very poor web address if any or emotionally driven content.

Anyways, I watched tonight and I have seen nearly every episode since the first and i couldn't believe they passed on the guy's new travel pet food idea. asking 100k for 51% of his company / presented what basically was a (Lunchables type) prepackaged carry along pet food.. cost of about $2.50 piece for a handy ready to go dog food with food and water, rip of the lid good to go..

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Watch the show often, we have a show called Dragon's Den in Canada which has been running for a few years now...I think Sharks Tank is a spin off from it.

Good show

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I believe that is true Dragon's Den in England and apparently Canada!!!

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Both are very good shows. Unfortunately, there's a lot of real dumbass "entrepreneurs" on them who will sign away tens of thousands of dollars to "consultants" to build their product and not have even a half decent website.

I see too many ideas get turned down for the wrong reasons, which is quite depressing.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The 'entrepreneurs' are carefully selected. The producers sift through the good ones, and make sure that there's the odd "I'm in!", and as they have to cater for the entertainment value, the majority are "I'm out!" in response to cringeworthy products and pitches.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I recently started watching this show. Great show. I have checked some of the websites of the ones that got funding and they're shit. I wonder where all the money is going.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems the poorest investor and pry the one i like the most is Robert Herjavec that seems to be a down to earth guy that has genuineness in his words; is worth $350,000,000 at least as the show claims... I am not expert authority or independently wealthy guy, but if i had $350MM dollars net worth pry with another 100-300MM in credit I would be looking at larger deals than a 100k here and there to invest in.. Just my opinion

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
both Kevin Oleary and Robert Herjavec have biographies out, both are good reads. The show is only one thing they do, OLeary said in his book that being a 'tv celebrity' helps with other things in life/business. Also, the shows let them sit back and have deals come to them, instead of having to go out and find them. Some of the deals are relatively small amounts for them, but if the products or services they invest in take off, it could have big returns.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$100k is nothing to these guys. They participate for the publicity - not the deals ;)

Also bear in mind that few "I'm in!" deals ever come to fruition after due diligence.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, i gotta say the part on the show that really shock me as bogus was the ( http://www.smallentity.com/inventions-2/ride-on-carry-on-travel-stroller-featured-on-shark-tank/481 ) when they did an update... it showed a very well kept above modest home, happy couple walking out the front door to a semi truck pulling up with a driver that more or less got out of the truck and looked like managerial status and shock their hands and when it cut the scene about getting some huge shipment with business growing... They open up the back of the trailer door and boxes were stacked pry 6-8 wide by 9 high or so, basically consuming the cameras view of the trailer appearing to be fully loaded... except when the boxes started to rumble/move / sway maybe from a gust of wind... That to me is Bullshit!

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if i had a great idea, i dont think i would go on the show just so someone else wathcing it can steal the idea and run with it themselves.

i love the shows - lots of good ideas

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I watch the show and know someone in production.

The 'other Dale' is right -- you're watching segments selected as ENTERTAINMENT, not a random sampling of pitches. They sift through thousands of applications for each show, they audition hundreds and only go with the handful that seem entertaining. And, of course, it's heavily edited so there may be parts of the pitch or discussion you didn't see. Also, particularly with ANY Mark Burnett production (esp. Survivor), don't assume that things like eye rolling and other facial gestures are shown at the time they occurred. They literally create a library of those to use when they like. It might not have happened the same DAY.

All applicants must submit a detailed business plan to even be considered. Once selected, the applicants are on set for 4 days, so if any of them seem to be unprepared, you have to wonder why they look that way.

That said, as far as I know all of the applicants are 'real', nothing scripted. But I agree that the segment shown this week (the follow-up showing a truck arriving at a home) looked fake as S%$^. Whoever did that did a bad job, and made the show lose credibility.

Oh, and one final note about people using domains.... is the Rick Schwartz still using his @yahoo account for business email? He was for quite a few years.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy the British Dragons' Den - some of the Irish guys are actually being chased by creditors, which diminishes their status somewhat in my eyes. But did you see recently where a couple of the British dragons were defrauded of their money by one of the pitchers? Here's a report on it: http://is.gd/YSKtSn

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of the deals do not get done, as they do not pass due diligence stage, for entertainment value though just because they accept does not mean they always get closed...

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is Dragon's Den online too?
If so, I will have to check it out...

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check this out tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom