Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Do i have any right on this transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfstay

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recently wanted to buy a nice .com damain. contacted the seller and ask for best offer and he offered $399.

Since the name was up for sale for a very long time, i counter with $300 offer. He refused the offer.

Next day, he pm me and said that someone is offering $370 and ask me to whether i want to offer him a higher price, as he wanted to sell that day. Immediately i told him that i will match his seling price, and ask for payment detail.

Few hours later, he replied saying that the someone has offered him $400. i wrote to him saying that i have met your offer price and please sell me with the price he offered.

He refuse and subsequently sold it to the someone.

Tell me, who is right and who is wrong....

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does not matter who is right or wrong. In this market 'money talk'.

You just lost the name because of $30 difference and he did not commit to sell the name to you at $370.

The opportunity only comes once so grasp it when you see it.

Last edited:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say no...once you counter offer you close his offer. you should have taken the $399 and said sold....

the way I see this is he was fully within his rights to sell to someone else. Sorry JMO

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you lost out on this over a few dollars. I have never understood the power game people try to play with the domain owner over just a few dollars...It is all about timing - the way you would have a right to this domain is when the owner offered it @$399 and you accept the offer...at no other point (according to your message in the thread) did this owner make you an offer to accept or accept your offer.

You are seeing first hand that the domain owner is the one who holds the cards...not the one haggling over a few dollars - in doing that - you may just get burned.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with John and Stewie. You paid him no money. It seems like you tried to get best deal, and that runs the risk of someone outdealing you.

You lost nothing, just maybe a few minutes, and a regret that you didn't act faster. He could have just taken your money and run. I would have lol.

When someone needs money fast, they want the action taker, fast payer. The secure, fast, reliable person. And that is when the money gets delivered to your hand. That's when 'money talk'.

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When money talks domains walk.

vital

FF
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh please...

It was simple. I had two buyers in the same time, both offering via PM. I hate that shit. Told them to make their offers in thread. None of them did.
Well, you felt you couldn't get it for $300, because in the older thread was $350 offer made by the other member - you did $399 offer, which I asked before and you passed. But it was completely new situation, and no binding at all! So I asked you and him for offers, and he won. I agreed on price with the other guy, and then you got back to me, asking if I can sell it to you for higher offer. I told no - because I honour my sales.

why am I the wrong one?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In that case, since buyers failed to follow directions to post in the thread, the seller should be cleared.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the lowball mentality that's so pervasive here, will cause many to let names slip thru their fingers.

why can't buyers just purchase the name at the sellers price and quit haggling over $1

now who's buying?

:)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would not read too much into this, after seeing that the seller asked them to place their offers publicly, and they did not. It was all private negotiation with the fastest buyer winning the name.

I make private offers all the time, negotiating a better price. If they asked me to post that offer in public, I would either do so, risking to start a bidding war, or buy at BIN.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acro...even if directions were followed, doesn't make a difference (at least from a legal standpoint).

This is a simple negotiation rule in contracts/business law.
If seller offers domain for $400 and buyer agrees, seller is obligated to sell and buyer is obligated to buy.
However of buyer makes a counteroffer, seller can accept the offer, reject the offer or make a counteroffer. He is no longer obligated to sell for the original price he stated.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The "contract" - if you want to introduce such formal terms - involved making such statement valid by posting in public. That's why the line "post SOLD in the thread" is seen so often: to formalize what can otherwise be a constant exchange of he said / he said.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's all about timing when it comes to PM. Example:

You post in a wanted section. I send you an PM for the name with the asking price $500
4 days later you reply to the PM that you want to buy the name but I sold the name on the second day.

So to make it clear I should say the price is good for 24 hours and I will hold the name for you in one day so there is no confusion if I sold the name after 24 hours.

The excuse for you to come back after 4 days is you were not online. So to make it clear timing should be included in the offer.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.Next day, he pm me and said that someone is offering $370 and ask me to whether i want to offer him a higher price, as he wanted to sell that day. Immediately i told him that i will match his seling price, and ask for payment detail..
First, matching the offer is NOT beating the offer.

Second, he was playing you like a fiddle.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I make private offers all the time, negotiating a better price. If they asked me to post that offer in public, I would either do so, risking to start a bidding war, or buy at BIN.

that is a good strategy and posting the risks of posting, is knowledge.

over the years i've noticed how thread can get active if certain folks reply or start it.

the thought of 'they are selling, better jump on it", or "they are buying...i better check it out too", the psych of what am i missing out on.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently wanted to buy a nice .com damain. contacted the seller and ask for best offer and he offered $399.

Since the name was up for sale for a very long time, i counter with $300 offer. He refused the offer.

Next day, he pm me and said that someone is offering $370 and ask me to whether i want to offer him a higher price, as he wanted to sell that day. Immediately i told him that i will match his seling price, and ask for payment detail.

Few hours later, he replied saying that the someone has offered him $400. i wrote to him saying that i have met your offer price and please sell me with the price he offered.

He refuse and subsequently sold it to the someone.

Tell me, who is right and who is wrong....

He wanted 399$,... then he wanted 400$,... give him 425$ and seal the deal,..otherwise he is jerking you around and doesnt want to sell.

What is 25$ anymore anyways,..a happy meal and a shake plus gas?

edit to add,.. after I reread the op post,... you were wrong,... was the domain either that worthless, or that valuable,... to dicker over a couple bucks?

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a simple negotiation rule in contracts/business law.
If seller offers domain for $400 and buyer agrees, seller is obligated to sell and buyer is obligated to buy.
However of buyer makes a counteroffer, seller can accept the offer, reject the offer or make a counteroffer. He is no longer obligated to sell for the original price he stated.

just for a little more clarity:

actually, when the buyer submits a counter offer to a priced domain, the seller at that time is under no obligation. (unless it's at a thrid party venue where response is required in some form)

but routinely, domainer to domainer, those alternatives you mentioned (accept/reject/counter offer) are just "courtesies" a seller may do, if they want to negotiate further.

there are many domains for sale and the price is non-negotiable.

if you ask me how much and i say $4250 and you offer $549, i don't have to respond.

i just leave you hanging

:)

bfstay

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So to say that, if i offer someone for $300 a domain, and he replies wanting $350, but later he decide to take my$300 offer, i have my right not to honour my $300 offer? i just want to make clear this rule and make no offen to anyone. This is just a mere discussion and i am not looking to do anything about that deal, just that i would like to make it clear on situation like that, what is the correct things to do.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So to say that, if i offer someone for $300 a domain, and he replies wanting $350, but later he decide to take my$300 offer, i have my right not to honour my $300 offer? i just want to make clear this rule and make no offen to anyone. This is just a mere discussion and i am not looking to do anything about that deal, just that i would like to make it clear on situation like that, what is the correct things to do.

Curious why you didn't formalize your offer by posting in that thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom