Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Do .in domains have value in US search results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawn_tech

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a few .in domains a few years back, the only 2 I've kept since then are "terrahaute.in" and "erie.in". The selling point my registrar (godaddy) made back then was that they could be used as "in" domains... not necessarily that they were actually geared for India. Terre Haute is of course a city in the state of Indiana... (Erie is not, but I grabbed it anyway out of other interests).

Anyway, so my dilemma is, I'm just wondering if being "India" domains means they wouldn't show up in Google in America? If not, perhaps the thought of selling them or developing sites for them would be moot... Or does it make any difference? I haven't decided what to do with them yet.

Any advice is much appreciated!

dnfuser1234567

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can help pull traffic to your sites from different locations regardless of the extension. The extension can help in rankings though when it is hosted on a server in the geographical area it's meant for. The short answer, if you want US traffic on your .in names do the following:

1) Host on a server in the US
2) Build back links from other sites that are also hosted in the US.

Also, I think there are some great niche related areas that can be built on .in using it as sort of a hack. Something like realestate.in/usa/texas/dallas etc. I also feel very strongly that anyone that is interested in developing websites/businesses should strongly consider .in and building a serious business plan targeted towards India. The size of the population alone is enough to gain my attention and should gain anyone else's with an eye for opportunity, even if it's a long term (very long) play. That being said .com is still king and I love the .com. I just think there is a lot of potential in the .in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom