Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Do mods censor/spy/read PM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is obviously some widespread censorship being done in the threads.

I was curious if mods/admin read the PM's in our in and out box as well.

A great deal of business goes on within the PM's.

Not that I am paranoid, but in case there is some interception of messages going back and forth, I have emptied both my in and out box.

However, for the benefit of full disclosure,

Do mods/Admin have access to our PM boxes?
If yes, are mods/admin periodically reading these messages?

Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No. There is only an option to view how many PM's there are in a user's PM box and to empty it. To read a person's PM's one must log in as that person; that requires resetting the password.

C

Chuck

There is obviously some widespread censorship being done in the threads.

I was curious if mods/admin read the PM's in our in and out box as well.

A great deal of business goes on within the PM's.

Not that I am paranoid, but in case there is some interception of messages going back and forth, I have emptied both my in and out box.

However, for the benefit of full disclosure,

Do mods/Admin have access to our PM boxes?
If yes, are mods/admin periodically reading these messages?

That is not happening here, nor do the mods have access to users PM's. :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The mods cannot - we do not have access. I think the only way an admin could is if they wanted to go into the database itself and look at them, but that would only be if they're not encrypted (and some forum software packages do encrypt them) but this would be true with any forum and any forum software package (the database part).

As for IF they do - I think the admins have more important things to deal with than checking all of the PMs that go though here on a daily basis - nor would they have the time.

But, if you really want us to, you could CC us on all of them! :D (That was a joke, BTW)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt responses, guys.

I just have some grave concerns over the censorship I am seeing in many threads that I have been in.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt responses, guys.

I just have some grave concerns over the censorship I am seeing in many threads that I have been in.

some posts need censoring... as some members get "out of pocket".

posting hidden links, comments, images, personal attacks, etc.

those and others are reasons for editing a post, closing or deleting a thread

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a VBulletin hack that allow people read PM's.
I think here is not installed.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a VBulletin hack that allow people read PM's.
I think here is not installed.

I have no time to read my pm's let alone everyone else's.

We do not read members pm's.

-=DCG=-

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score

I am not worried about censorship. But I will tell you that [...] made a post about the [...] who sold it to [...] and it was an easy method to replicate. Then again, he used a piece of software called [...] which he downloaded from the [...] forum. Neat eh? :D

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about posts that are 100% gone? Totally deleted? Shortly after posting.

If there is an entire post or thread that has been deleted - we only do that with a good enough reason (violation of the rules, etc...). We try to put a reasoning in why a thread was deleted or closed and a post was deleted but in cases of multiple violations, it is easier for us to go though and do a mass-close / delete which does not give a reason.

Oh, one thing I did forget - sometimes Johnn does go out drinking and likes to mod while drunk - luckily Biggie, Admin, and I are able to catch him and un-mod him but we do miss some and that leave some rather interesting moderation lying around... :lol::smilewinkgrin::lol:
(That was a joke, BTW)

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use to be a admin of a vb forum (my own). You can't read it unless you reset the password and login as them.
I am pretty sure it is how it goes.
:D

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there is an entire post or thread that has been deleted - we only do that with a good enough reason (violation of the rules, etc...). We try to put a reasoning in why a thread was deleted or closed and a post was deleted but in cases of multiple violations, it is easier for us to go though and do a mass-close / delete which does not give a reason.

Oh, one thing I did forget - sometimes Johnn does go out drinking and likes to mod while drunk - luckily Biggie, Admin, and I are able to catch him and un-mod him but we do miss some and that leave some rather interesting moderation lying around... :lol::smilewinkgrin::lol:
(That was a joke, BTW)

Excuse me but I only drink a couple times a day as my doctor told me that I need liquid to digest the food.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for helping to clear things up.

Some bizarre going ons lately.

I do want to thank her royal pain-in-the-ass highness raider for coming on here and contributing so much to this conversation. I do recall that she wanted to be a mod so she might as well play act some more and stick her nose in.

Is that the type of shit that gets deleted from my threads?

fundraiser

** Mr. Blonde **
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be done with VB and no it does not require resetting passwords. Whether it is being done at any particular VB forum is a matter of trust with forum admins.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for helping to clear things up.

Some bizarre going ons lately.

I do want to thank her royal pain-in-the-ass highness raider for coming on here and contributing so much to this conversation. I do recall that she wanted to be a mod so she might as well play act some more and stick her nose in.

Is that the type of shit that gets deleted from my threads?

I never stated I wanted to be a Mod here, If I did, it was at the suggestion of someone else.... Besides, why would anyone want to be a mod and have to discipline 50 year old crybabies like you?... Not a week goes by that you don't create some kind of drama or alarmism thread, why is that? Are you not getting the attention you crave at work or at home?.... Does everyone ignore you? sounds like a personal problem to me.

OK, Back to your Paranoia thread again. I hope you get the satisfaction you desire from this one. ;)

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
at least let us have the illusion of privacy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom