Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do we need more community guidelines?

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
The best metrics everyone has is Alexa. And my argument is that it is more useful, or as useful as it was in the past, due to the pandemic and a surge in online shopping.
No. I know of no professional that would say such a thing. I don't think you've ever sold forum advertising? I have in the past. They don't count on data that can be manipulated. They will look at actual participation. They want to know the forum is well managed. Among other things.

I'm also curious why did you change your views on forum moderating?

"When members repeatedly break the rules and run amuck, they make me, and everyone else who cares about their personal image, look bad."

You were right back then. What you used to complain about, is what you're allowing now at this forum. 30 bumps is running amuck and repeatedly breaking the rules.

Upvote 0

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My view remains unchanged. I just think we have too much structure, and that's not necessary.

The two basic rules of life and forums are the only ones we need: Treat others how you would like to be treated, which I suspect you broke multiple times now, and to stay on topic, which I know you broke a minimum of 2 times now because I've had to split threads just from your replies.

I guess you should just ask yourself now whether you're here to be a productive member and to contribute or to continue to poke until you get banned, just so that you can achieve your mission and go cry to other communities that you're the victim, when that clearly could never be the case due to our golden rules.

Domain summit 2024

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
Please remain on a single topic of discussion.
My view remains unchanged. I just think we have too much structure, and that's not necessary.

The two basic rules of life and forums are the only ones we need: Treat others how you would like to be treated, which I suspect you broke multiple times now, and to stay on topic, which I know you broke a minimum of 2 times now because I've had to split threads just from your replies.

I guess you should just ask yourself now whether you're here to be a productive member and to contribute or to continue to poke until you get banned, just so that you can achieve your mission and go cry to other communities that you're the victim, when that clearly could never be the case due to our golden rules.
I haven't broken the rules unless having differing opinions is against the rules?

You on the other hand haven't enforced existing rules. 30 bumps a day is breaking the rules. You have decided to do nothing. And you're not following what you just posted. "Treat others how you would like to be treated" Look at your earlier replies in my direction.

As far as advertising. If you want to sell them on Alexa stats, which I think you know is joke. Understand advertisers want results. You only get that from real people/participation. If you don't have that, you don't close sales, you don't get repeat advertising. I would wait until those numbers are up.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score

That 5 minute edit window could use some work as well. If that's the way you want to treat real participants, not a big deal, I could just become a reader. There will never be a shortage of domainers wanting to bump 30 threads at a time, so you'll always have that "participation". If you want to threaten members with bans, because how dare they disagree with a mod. Ok. Become what you claim to hate.

Back to read only mode.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't broken the rules unless having differing opinions is against the rules?
You have as one of the rules is to stay on topic. You've demonstrated that 2 times already as I've had to split threads that went off topic. You again did that in this very reply going on as if we're selling advertising based on Alexa info.
You on the other hand haven't enforced existing rules. 30 bumps a day is breaking the rules.
I've previously addressed this. Again, if they do it again, all threads will be locked and they will have to choose which ones to unlock. I'm trying to be fair and balanced while our dev team works on an add on that hides locked threads. If we lock them now, after a bump, they will still remain up top until others bump their bump. With what we're working on, and what will ideally be done by this time, is hiding the threads when they're locked so they aren't a nuisance even after being locked.

This thread is to discuss our current rules or to make suggestions for adding to them.

Your first official warning: Stay on topic. (1/3 before a timeout)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That 5 minute edit window could use some work as well.
That's a hard-coded rule that we can explore.

What timeframe would you suggest for new members of less than 50-100 posts? I think 5 minutes is very fair so that they don't go ballistic changing things. Letting them do this could make future replies then look like they're off topic as they aren't making a direct quote when replying and rather using what they saw pre-edit in the context of their reply.

Older members generally understand this and will only retract something if they're really wrong or go back to correct spelling and grammar which doesn't necessarily change the context all of the time.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That 5 minute edit window could use some work as well. If that's the way you want to treat real participants, not a big deal, I could just become a reader. There will never be a shortage of domainers wanting to bump 30 threads at a time, so you'll always have that "participation". If you want to threaten members with bans, because how dare they disagree with a mod. Ok. Become what you claim to hate.

Back to read only mode.

I used to think unlimited editing was a great idea until I owned my own forum and people inserted malware links into pictures. When the pictures were clicked they were taken to malware sites.

Now I use a 1 hour rule and it seems to be working well for people.
I also instruct members to use the report feature if they want to make a spelling correction or something.

As a general rule one can post again if one wants to correct something in a post after the time limit has expired.

So I am with @amplify and thinking there has to be a control of sorts. Maybe 5-10 minutes for new members under 10 posts and 1 hour for established members.

Being a forum where the next post is highly reliant on the context of the first post you can understand the platform cannot have people edit the first post to the point of where it makes no sense within the topic.

So a 1 hour limit is probably a good balance because inevitably the first post is quoted preserving it should it get changed dramatically by the author.

I know on my forum I have no reply button, only quote which assures posts are not over edited to lose context.

Last edited:

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You on the other hand haven't enforced existing rules. 30 bumps a day is breaking the rules. You have decided to do nothing. And you're not following what you just posted. "Treat others how you would like to be treated" Look at your earlier replies in my direction.

Until the changes come into effect to prevent that I simply hit ignore and that members spam no longer affects my view. That is not a long term answer because new visitors have to be considered but it is a way to customize your own view to your liking.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
@DapperJohn

Up until not that long ago I was pretty well in your situation. I tried to force my views on another forum (not saying you are doing that) but upon reflection I figured out another way.

If you want to read about my reflection, you can find it here...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to think unlimited editing was a great idea until I owned my own forum and people inserted malware links into pictures. When the pictures were clicked they were taken to malware sites.
Security is another reason why.
So I am with @amplify and thinking there has to be a control of sorts. Maybe 5-10 minutes for new members under 10 posts and 1 hour for established members.
We'll probably do increments of 10-15 minutes up until Level: 6-8 — with Level: 1 and 2 remaining at 5 minutes — when we flip the banners/user titles, and possibly upwards of 6 hours with more established members. A lot will be based on levels.
Until the changes come into effect to prevent that I simply hit ignore and that members spam no longer affects my view. That is not a long term answer because new visitors have to be considered but it is a way to customize your own view to your liking.
Ignoring the member is one choice, but the best approach is to build the forum to your desired experience by ignoring specific threads and complete forums. Some people may not want to see off-topic banter, so they can hide The Watercooler altogether without ignoring users who contribute to it.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Naturally as communities get bigger I think you need more rules to help manage.

That just been my experience but you have the final say.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Naturally as communities get bigger I think you need more rules to help manage
Rules such as posting in certain areas with limitations are hard-coded in based upon user level. This takes most bias out of things.

As far as treating others how you'd like to be treated, we don't need a rule on name-calling as if you were to be called something that you didn't like, you wouldn't like it. I think this blankets a lot of things in life, if answered honestly.

"If this was your topic, and they replied like you did, would you like it?", etc.

We'll run it with the two golden rules for now.

I suspect that once NamePros shills accept our new presence as it is, they'll surely stop. If not, they'll definitely stack on warnings as they don't seem to be able to grasp how to stay on topic while still saying "NamePros is #1!"

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I run a cannabis community and the larger it gets the more automation I use.

What I will and will not allow. @amplify

Up to you guys how you want to run DNForum.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I suspect that once NamePros shills accept our new presence as it is, they'll surely stop. If not, they'll definitely stack on warnings as they don't seem to be able to grasp how to stay on topic while still saying "NamePros is #1!"
Rules vs. lack of rules. Which scenario would have more chaos.

You'll probably have less "NamePros shills" once you get it out of your system and stop constantly talking about them. NP gets talked about so much, I've learned most people here have been completely banned or restricted a certain percentage. Without even asking.

It's a domain forum, talk about domaining.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We're definitely all ears for automation, and for rules to enforce by human moderation.

I just honestly believe that creating rules written like laws is frustrating to all people when it's as simple as telling someone to play nice, and if they can't, move along.

Trolls love rules too. It allows for pressing of them, which makes the rule be rewritten, then much more restrictive to everyone because of that.

More rules don't create a better environment, nor does having only 2 rules.

We'll find that medium though. :)

It's a domain forum, talk about domaining.
Well said! We have domain name discussion as well as off topic areas.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I stopped going to NPs since I couldn't take all the talk about new Gs. @DapperJohn

They are a waste of time and mindshare ihmo for the most part. I'm at a higher level of thought process with domain investing.

Most of the communities I participate in now are through other methods.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I stopped going to NPs since I couldn't take all the talk about new Gs
We do have nG discussions here too.

But the great thing about here is that you can build your experience. Ignore the entire nG forum and you'll cut down on 99% of it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom