Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Do you think selling name on ebay are money wasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unregistered

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had post some names on ebay before and they either had received no bid or not reaching the reserved price, therefore i paid insertion fee without making any profit.

You do guys have same kind of experience? or just because the names that i am selling are really suck?

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that selling names on ebay really sucks.
I put some awesome names there and got really crappy bids.

Pre built sites sell really well though and for ok money.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think selling on ebay rocks at the moment.

Just make sure you use words like "rare", "unique","unlimited possibilities" in your auction description. :D

For real, i think names sell for more on ebay than here - that might change soon but thats what i see.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It ebbs and rolls. I have seen domw great names sell on ebay over the years. Some great prices, some cheap. Most name listed there are , however, CRAP. ANd thats part of the problem,to much crap, too many scammers, shills etc. So people jsut don't take the time to search through 48 pages of domains. Kewords listed in your auction are a big help.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just came back from there and there were barely any domains with bids but the ones with sites were getting bids.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you use words like "rare", "unique","unlimited possibilities" in your auction description.

I've been involved with ebay since the beginning and this may be true although I usually want to go for good search terms as in catagories of business or art, etc. that they domain may have use for. My luck on ebay has been ehh with domain names. I would also say that I haven't tried domain names there till the last year.

I also like the terms 'rare' and 'unique' with regard to domain names as they are ALL (hopefully!) rare and unique or they wouldn't resolve! X.COM is equally rare and unique as is 123abercombie-3cincinnati.BZ although their values, of course, very wildly!

Best Wishes,

Jon

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For the most part, yes.

I quit selling on ebay well over a year ago. I wasn't coming out ahead after all the listing fees. Sometimes, a real super name will sell IF you feature it, but if it doesn't sell, you are out some real $$.

I did find that often names sell better there when in categories other than domain names. For example put something like photolenses.com in the category of camera lenses instead of domain names. You are more likely to find a retail end-user buyer than a wholesaler looking for a bargain.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
For the most part, yes.

I quit selling on ebay well over a year ago. I wasn't coming out ahead after all the listing fees. Sometimes, a real super name will sell IF you feature it, but if it doesn't sell, you are out some real $$.

I did find that often names sell better there when in categories other than domain names. For example put something like photolenses.com in the category of camera lenses instead of domain names. You are more likely to find a retail end-user buyer than a wholesaler looking for a bargain.

Mark has the key here. List it in an end-user relevant section if you can!

Cheers :D

whitelion

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good point. I think there is an ebook about selling on ebay in the members section. Have a look there.

There is so much trash in the domain name section selling for ridiculous prices.

Half the time i doubt whether a domain even gets viewed.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I only use eBay as a dumping groud for names that I will not renew, and people have passed over here at DNF. I have tried to list very nice names in teh featured section with reserves, but the bidding rarely gets into the hundreds (17.net got up to $150 once and $101 another time).

The words "rare" are a peeve of mine. I hate it when somebody uses "rare" in the description. If I cut the domain name open, will it be red on the inside? WHy is every name rare? They are all unique and there cannot be two of the same name.

As far as what sells, I have noticed too that domain names with sites attached sell like hotcakes. Even something simple like a vStore or something will increase bids tremendously...

Dine.org was a great example.. He built a small site that maybe took 1-2 days to put up. There were no fancy PHP coding or mySQL databases. It was all HTML driven, but it sold for $1100+ (which is great for the seller).

I am thinking of trying my hand and some small sites with crappy names to see what results I get. . .

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom