Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Does anybody want a way to scrape dollars off their dropping domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I had an idea, one that I can implement is less than any day.

Every domainer eventually drops domains.

Would a domainer want a venue that allow them to list the domains they are planning to drop, and maybe sell them for whatever value they may get before the drop?

Do you want a dollar?... two maybe, for something that cost you nothing to drop?

Is it worth it to recoup a couple of bucks on something that has earned you nothing?

Let me know as I am developing a platform for your junk. If you are interested that is and think it is a feasable idea.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its a feasible idea... You are basically hoping to beat the registrars at their own game and auction off expiring domains before they get the chance to. If you did it right, it could be a good marketplace, although you will inevitably have a lot of junk.

There is actually a place for this type of listing. ;) If you think you could do it better, best of luck with it. You may need to make it free and just hope to generate income from advertising, since the names are going to be going for small amounts generally. Maybe you could even say it is free up to a certain dollar amount and charge a commission if the sale price goes over it...Just my quick thoughts on it. If you get it going I will probably list my dropping names on it if it works well.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think namepros marketplace and appraisals section is for this :smilewinkgrin:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
CrapDomains.com was used by Francois for that purpose, now itself is for sale :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
regs/renews/acquisitions are claimed as an expense, so for me, there is no need to try and sell for a couple of bucks, before dropping.

i'd rather let folks fight at the auctions, since nobody wanted to buy em' before they dropped.

but every now and then i'll put one up in our $1 auction here on dnf... just for the hell of it.

matter of fact, maybe i'll do one soon.

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess that many members simply don't want to spend time putting up a list just to scrape a few dollars.
As a matter of pride many would actually let domains drop rather than sell for less than regfee :)

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People routinely list dropping names here on DNF and a lot go for 10, 15 or a $20 BIN. I am sure if you had a marketplace with enough names (and depending on the structure) you would likely have your most active auctions reaching the $xxx range or more.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like it.

Create a daily newsletter, in which the best domains about to drop are listed.

Make it really easy to buy. First come first served. I think in most cases if someone is willing to pay $1, they are willing to pay $5. Every domain sells for $5 flat, of which you keep $1. Or take your chances after the drop. I think that is compelling.

Obviously, the trick is to hit a volume threshold that makes something like this viable. You do that by making it really easy for both sides to work with you, and automating all the functions (listing, selling, communicating, etc)

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cant hurt to get a dolla out of 0!

Varlin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Love the idea + I have ***dropped.org*** waiting and wanting to be developed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom