Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Does anyone else struggle with developing sites as opposed to just regging and parkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I constantly struggle with the fact that I have over 200 domains parked and earnings pay reg fees as i wait for buyers.Most of my names are product related 50 percent insurance industry.Is it worth taking the leap. take a college course on web building, pay someone to set up a site, etc. Please share success stories and failures. my first site would probably be for small business health insurance once association health plans pass congress, because I have 20 domains dealing with this so I could forward all traffic to one site. Then use someone like ehealthinsurance. Can anyone else share pros and cons, or if you are in my shoes too, share that thanks

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i ahve a terrible time(ie not enough time) developing some of my names..

i have written a selection of standard modules(coldfusion), so i can get a page up, but it will have RSS news, amazon products, ebay, google and maybe some affliate related stuff on..

but the sites look the same (ie rubbish as iam not designer) but i can get one up in a bout 10 mins (not including logo)

i have been meaning for the last 4 months to automate the whole process, but have nto got round to it..

one i just did 30 mins ago is.. www.6nations.org using my system.. which looks very like my other one www.eurofootball.co.uk, which look like ...... but you get the idea...

its loks cr&p, plus i never get the time to go back and visit them again.

regards

wilco

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Development -vs- Parking. Both sides seems to have pros and cons. I have a number of domains parked, but increasingly am looking to development to add a different revenue stream. Also, you can actually build them with some PPC ads in them. The best of both worlds. Since I & my partners are not developers, the only short term fix is to pay someone to do it for us.

Mattius

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JayK29 said:
Development -vs- Parking. Both sides seems to have pros and cons. I have a number of domains parked, but increasingly am looking to development to add a different revenue stream. Also, you can actually build them with some PPC ads in them. The best of both worlds. Since I & my partners are not developers, the only short term fix is to pay someone to do it for us.

I think the differance is:

development = work
parking = virtually no work :)

Unfortunately for lazy people like me:

developed site = much more $$$ and opportunity
parked site = limited income stream based, often lucky to cover reg fee.

I got a gift site ive been working on for weeks and i just cant bring myself to finish it off.

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mattius, you might want to talk to Oz. He has an Australian gift site up & running, fungifts.com.au. He might be able to help (& ignore his thread about being a newbie etc, he's been around awhile)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have developed many simple domains...although most of mine dont have traffic so it takes a while for that investment of time to pay off. I can usually develop 1 domain per day for around $100 if any of you are interested.

Mattius

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
I have developed many simple domains...although most of mine dont have traffic so it takes a while for that investment of time to pay off. I can usually develop 1 domain per day for around $100 if any of you are interested.

Cool GT ill keep that in mind :) Might need your services some day.

I have so many projects to do, at least 5 or 6, but staying focused is the key, and thats always been a struggle for me.

The gift site should be complete soon. Ive finished the admin backend, its dynamic based - php, sql and dreamweaver. Its going to be simple and really easy to work worth.

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I almost always develop my names. I just enjoy it. :)

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see developing as the issue, I see creativity as the issue. When you develop 40-50 sites it comes down to a lot of them having the same type feel to them even if you didn't intend it to turn out that way.

Personally I've got to be more creative. I develop all of my domains, and don't have any of them parked.

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own too many domains to develop every single one. It would be an overwhelming project. Obviously a well developed website is worth more than it's undeveloped domain. There is also more revenue to be made from a well developed and well marketed website. This again means a lot of work or money if you are paying somebody to do it for you. It all depends on the situation and the return you are going to be expecting to get from the development. Every domain and website would have to be approached differently. Parking gives you the ability to bring in money while you develop or wait to make the sale.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
95% of my domains are parked or redirect to some of the "portal" domains which i have chosen from each particular category of mine etc..

Long term i am going to develop them all.. but its a bloody hard task knowing where to start.. too many names and nowhere near enough time :)

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don`t develop anything, too much trouble.
PPC is the only way to go.

SuperBrandables

SuperBrandables.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys, I just don't have enough hours in a day.

There is a huge market potential for someone who has time to design / develop domains. I would be willing to split any profits 50/50 with a designer. You know what I mean? My domains, his designs. Sell them off, or just keep good ones and promote them. Split down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom