Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Does anyone here not actually own a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyhead

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a bit curious and as ironic as it may seem but does anyone here not actually own a domain at this moment in time?
I'm one of these although I have owned domains in the past its just Im looking for that one name that will appeal to me and I believe it will be succesful... So until that day comes I better find somthing else to do :cheeky:
Matt

Domain Days 2024

Khasmoth

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL..I hope you will own a domain soon.:)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is no good! PM sent!

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
monkeyhead said:
Hi,
Just a bit curious and as ironic as it may seem but does anyone here not actually own a domain at this moment in time?
I'm one of these although I have owned domains in the past its just Im looking for that one name that will appeal to me and I believe it will be succesful... So until that day comes I better find somthing else to do :cheeky:
Matt

You sound as though that "perfect" domain is going to magically one day walk up to your house, and ring the doorbell. lol You're certainly not much of a go getter are you? At least here at dnforum, you have a front row seat at watching the domain world, pass YOU by. :greensad:

-Joe

monkeyhead

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Joe said:
You sound as though that "perfect" domain is going to magically one day walk up to your house, and ring the doorbell. lol You're certainly not much of a go getter are you? At least here at dnforum, you have a front row seat at watching the domain world, pass YOU by. :greensad:

-Joe
Its a bit hard when you dont have the funds to buy those profitable names! :frusty: And you cant really go and get without the money to do so can you?:greensigh:
Matt

Domstar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Joe said:

-Joe

Why so harsh?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
monkeyhead said:
Hi,
Matt

What is a domain? :confused:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't own any domain names.

But my cat on the other hand, owns thousands...

d_n

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:
That's so true! Take a Rocking Chair and relax. Searching the Name is the Game...:cheeky:

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:

Wow, what a truism. I'm sure most of us rarely stop and think about that. What we "own" are the registration rights, to a virtual address, but that "ownership" is limited to a renewable period (lease) of 1 to 10 years at a time. Our ownership rights can be challenged at any given moment via a udrp board of arbitrators, federal district court, or the registrar itself, which in turn can easily result in the re-assignment of those rights with little to no recourse at all. Additionally, our registration can be transferred or revoked for one of a dozen different reasons, including but not limited to, failure or a discrepancy in paying the renewal, invalid or stale contact information, an error, a technology blunder, a hacker or thief, etc. etc. etc.

We really own very little, and what we do own, is limited by a lot of fine text, loopholes, legislation, technology, and the entire world around us.

If real estate deals had as many question marks and uncertainties as domain name deals, no one would ever buy or substantially invest, in real property.

-Joe

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Joe said:
Our ownership rights can be challenged at any given moment via a udrp board of arbitrators, federal district court, or the registrar itself, which in turn can easily result in the re-assignment of those rights with little to no recourse at all.
-Joe

Exactly Right! This is one fuc*ed-up system, when you think about it!

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameJet said:

Ex wives and cats are very much alike.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:

For practical purposes each of us "owns" the domain name. Call it what you want, but I would say that Microsoft owns MSN.com as much as anyone owns anything (no trademark arguments allowed). Essentially, a renewal fee is like paying taxes on regular real estate...if you don't pay you will no longer own. It's kind of like that IRS argument that you see once in a while where the guy says technically we don't have to pay income tax. The reality is different.

People who own their homes will find out really quick that they are just renting if they don't pay their taxes or their mortgages. It is all about controlling the asset, and as long as you pay your taxes/renewals you will control it.

In the world that we live in domains are owned. Call it what you want.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't lose a lot of sleep over the rental system for domains.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameJet said:

NameJet, is your cat the famous one that was a respondent in that hilarious WIPO case?
http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/671304.htm

My favorite part:
"Respondent maintains that it is a cat, that is, a well-known carnivorous quadruped which has long been domesticated. However, it is equally well-known that the common cat, whose scientific name is Felis domesticus, cannot speak or read or write. Thus, a common cat could not have submitted the Response (or even have registered the disputed domain name). Therefore, either Respondent is a different species of cat, such as the one that stars in the motion picture “Cat From Outer Space,” or Respondent’s assertion regarding its being a cat is incorrect.

If Respondent is in fact a cat from outer space, then it should have so indicated in its reply, in order to avoid unnecessary perplexity by the Panel. Further, it should have explained why a cat from outer space would allow Mr. Woods to use the disputed domain name. In the absence of such an explanation, the Panel must conclude that, if Respondent is a cat from outer space, then it may have something to hide, and this is indicative of bad faith behavior."

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:

I'm thinking of subleasing my domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom