Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Does Enom give a c**p about spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
60 spam emails each day for the last 4 days from the same 2 entities that have their domain name registered at Enom.

Today, over 600 from a single entity advertising "Debt consolidation". Their domain names were registered at Enom.

I've emailed Enom and provided the domain names, I've even sent them the spam, but this spammer just keeps pumping them out. You'd figure that if Enom gave a damn, they'd already revoke this spammer's domain name(s).

Conclusion: Enom only cares about the money they make and little else.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Registrars revoking domains on how they are used is a dangerous path...

A better approach is to target the spam relay(s) and hosting provider(s) instead that are helping to facilitate the spam.

Ron

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate what you're saying, but isn't spam against the law? If it is, doesn't some of that responsibility fall on Enom?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In some instances yes...but then so are many other things...

Should registrars delete domains because one is discussing an issue which potentially violates local community standards somewhere?

-or is potentially in violation of copyright laws?

-or publishes news that is counter to that of the "mainstream" press?

-or discusses issues that many people find unpopular?

etc...

While some ccTLDs delete domains all the time for content, spam, etc ... most all gTLD registrars don't ... and be glad they don't.

Most internet sites potentially violate numerous laws somewhere - those matters should be left to the courts to decide, not registrars unilaterally with no oversight (some may say ICANN - that's like having the Fox guarding the hen house!).

Throwing some thoughts out there to get folks thinking about the wider implications of such deletion policies.

Ron

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why should eNom even care?

It's just the domain.. Email addresses and domains aren't even needed and many times aren't used when sending spam (AFAIK).

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainicanicanica said:
I understand and appreciate what you're saying, but isn't spam against the law? If it is, doesn't some of that responsibility fall on Enom?

No and No

How about if I go and send some spam that looks like it comes from your domain and even points at your domain... then, since I'm one of the people who got spammed by "you" I go and complain to your registrar who then cancels your domain.

NO WAY should registrars be involved in deleting names prematurely for this sort of activity without a court order.

You need to complain to the spammer's upstream provider if you want them shut down.

M

mole

Nameable said:
NO WAY should registrars be involved in deleting names prematurely for this sort of activity without a court order

Agreed, today the pro spammer bad hats NEVER EVER use their real domains to spam. They always spoof someone elses domain eg. [email protected].

I think the .mail initiative by Spamhaus is not only a option today, but a necessity, if email marketing is ever to gain credibility again.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. But just to clarify...

The spammer is NOT spoofing the domain name of the website he's advertising, though I'm sure the return address is spoofed.

What I'm referring to is the website the spammer advertises, the one he's trying to get you to click on. According to the Whois, the website domain name is registered through Enom.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spam should be featured in the host's agreement.

There are too many issues if the registrar deletes the domain.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they delete the spammer's domain for spamming under the certain domain I think eNom could have something coming to them.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The correct route would be to contact the ISP. ISP's will cancel accounts that spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom