Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Does .org effect your site negatively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxsum

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am going to make a site that I want to get number one on google for a specific keyword. The domain is perfect for this keyword, but is a .org. Does this matter so much, I mean I know it wont negatively effect my PR (Page Rank), but what will visitors think when they see its a .org? will they think much about it as its not an organization but a site trying to sell something? What has been your experience?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone who has been in domain business more then I am once said me that don`t develop nothing but only .com, because no other ext. has good type in traffic. If You develop a .org and there will be many users then the same name .com will have also more traffic. People will think what was the address "a it was ......com"

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually if the .com and .net is taken, in most cases i'd prefer a .ws or .biz/.info over .org anytime.
Just because for the engines the extension doen't matter anyway but .org looks so ugly for commercial sites whereas you can market .ws as "WebSite" at least and .info/.biz speak for themselves.
Only sense .org makes (besides for non-profit sites and community sites like forums) is if you have one that is either a premium term (for resale) and/or matches your genre so you make it a doorwaypage for your actual main site (development) - as ANY extension is fine for SEO as long as the term itself is a keyterm.
But i'd never use it as the main addy for a commercial site.
Just looks crap.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you really love this idea and you really have plans to stick it out. Go .com and only .com.

whitelion

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree about .org looks ugly
What about .net though?
People keep saying its basically for networks. I've found some killer .net names , however i am reluctant to reg them because i have heard they are just for networks.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, if you just want a website then it really doesn't matter. If you want a brand then you have to go .com. If you use anything else all you are doing is increasing the value of the .com that you don't own. I have some nice .net domains but I would never brand it because I know I would lose traffic to the better extension.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you have a nice site with a .org tld, just set a script for book-marking that page. So your visitors will have it in their "favorites"
tool. Having a .org domain, does Not always make the .com more valuable. If you have what people are looking for, they will come to you.

People are confident in the strength of the .com, but life changes.....all it takes is one event, to make a difference!

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That one event would have to be all the .com's vanashing off the internet.

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love .org, it can work extremely well with a commercial site, but only with a really applicable name like the media industry which I'm heavily buying .orgs for.

I don't like .net much (only in special circumstances) and would never use .biz, .info, .ws no matter what.

My company is going to spend thousands on developing a few .orgs with awesome media-related names. I think it will work just as good as .com ever could. But I'll have to wait a while to prove my point :)

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why does .org work with media industry domains? Can you give me an example of a good domain like this with the .org extension?

Thanks.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
Why does .org work with media industry domains? Can you give me an example of a good domain like this with the .org extension?

Thanks.

Newspapers like to use .org. It gives the site instant "credibility" if done right.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that izopod. I sure don't give a website special credibilty because it's a .org. How would you do this right? Please give examples.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to say again ONLY .COM nothing else

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The many members who think .org is not good for a developed websites are just plain WRONG in many cases, depending on the business to a degree.

For example, powertools.org is not a good fit with .Org but MANY OTHERS are, having nothing to do with non-profits.

Org gives instant online credibility to BOTH commercial and non-commercial sites. I also have some org's which do in fact get good type-ins, contrary to what you may think.

P.S. Org has a secret hidden benefit other than what has been discussed, perhaps no one here knows about, which adds greatly to its value.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3

Thanks.

AP.org (The Associated Press official site - the world's largest wire service).

I have worked in media all my life. Org is very well liked in media because of the altruistic connotations it gives the business. Media entities like for the public to believe they are operating in the interests of public welfare. Though that is usually not true, it gives them the image they want.

The exact same thing is true of the medical industry as well as several other fields. You guys who don't know any better are free to believe whatever you want. I will just keep cashing the checks for the dozens of .orgs I have been selling the past six months. Actually I would prefer that you continue to perpetute this myth as the less competition the better for me. :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
I don't believe that izopod. I sure don't give a website special credibilty because it's a .org. How would you do this right? Please give examples.

http://www.Ap.org

The .org gives it the "air" of independence and objectivity from commericial interests (whether or not this is true). Mind you I'm talking about the Newspaper medium. If I were a "true blue" media giant you'd want a .com or .biz (in some cases).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site:.org+newspapers

Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of .org, but in some cases it works. For some reason I like www.Flowers.org (a lot). As opposed to www.Plant.org.... www.Planet.org is cool, but www.Mars.org sucks (and it has TM issues).

Of course I'm talking about developed sites. If you are into "turning" names the most liquid is .com, and some generic .biz names.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another post without examples. I can tell you how great .cc is for credibility but would you believe me without examples? .COM is the only brandable tld at this time.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The assosiated press missed the boat on ap.com, registered in 1991. They would jump on .com in a heart beat if they could. Imagine how many type-in's the .com get's because of this.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
flowers.org is great if you are looking for good se placement but as a brand it just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom