Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Doesn't buydomains.com claim to be against the WLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why are they against the WLS when it will actually help them secure every domain available :p

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Why are they against the WLS when it will actually help them secure every domain available :p

Because they know it won't :p

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Because they know it won't :p
I don't think this is correct at all. I believe it's because right now, BfD is not beholdin' to NSI- AT ALL!

But under WLS, NSI will rule the domain world once again. No one in their right mind wants that.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
The current system works just fine for them. Any dramatic change to the current system adds an avalanche of new factors to consider. Outside of WLS, people can still think they might get a name until the drop time. If BuyDomains were to get every single WLS sub on the best names... suddenly every drop catcher out there will have ablsolutely NO incentive to sit back and wait to see if they'll get a name. That said, they'll either give up, or try to contact the registrant instead.

With an army of committed spoilers... why would BuyDomains be happy with that type of result?

If that doesn't convince you, just read this thread:
How I beat BuyDom at the domain game
http://www.domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=9569

It's a little coy, but its the same principle.

~ Nexus

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WebCat said:
I don't think this is correct at all. I believe it's because right now, BfD is not beholdin' to NSI- AT ALL!

But under WLS, NSI will rule the domain world once again. No one in their right mind wants that.

Not to take away from your point, but WLS is Verisign's baby, not NSI's. Verisign, the company which operates the com/net registry, sold Network Solutions last November. Network Solutions is now "just another registrar". They will be selling WLS subscriptions, just like most other registrars, but won't be reaping most of the profits.

According to Verisign press releases, the entity which purchased Netsol was "Pivotal Private Equity". I don't know exactly whose private equity was involved. Netsol's website now says they are owned by "Registrar LLC". It is possible Verisign may still have some part ownership in one or both of these entities, I really don't know. The point of the divestiture was supposedly to remove the appearance that NSI had a special relationship with the registry.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's public info that Verisign still ownes a share in NSI.

I beleive 10% of the company.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
to me wls is nothing more than a way for them to add more fees. Now instead of just getting reg fees, they get $35 for a ton of names they never drop. Just silly.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chatcher said:
Not to take away from your point, but WLS is Verisign's baby, not NSI's. Verisign, the company which operates the com/net registry, sold Network Solutions last November.
Catcher, I have lumped them together so much that I forgot about the spinoff! By you are correct, so.... please substitute Verisign for NSI in my posts above, LOL!

A monopoly is still a monopoly, regardless of who owns it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators