Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Age Question. Settle This One For Me Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok. This is a question I should have asked a loooooooong, long time ago before getting into this, and so I'm probably going to sound like a real idiot here if I'm wrong, but what the hell - live and learn, right?

This is my understanding about what an "aged domain" is - A domain that, regardless of how many owners have owned the domain, if it has no "drops" it is an "aged domain." So if I look up a domain total age and it says "10 years" and it has no drops, and I hand-reg it, then it is STILL an "aged domain" even though I just registered it, but before deletion.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Because I have some guys now and then saying to me that a domain of mine has no age because I newly registered it, even though I registered it before it was deleted and with domain tools telling me it is several years old with no drops.

Settle this for me, guys, please. Thanks.

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.. it "IS" dropping and I register it before it is deleted. So that means the age comes with it, right?

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some guys think that for a domain to be aged, say...5 years....then I am the one who has to own the domain for 5 years, but that is nonsense, right? I swear, two to three times a week I have guys telling me they looked at my domains but none of them have age, so it's a "no", even though according to the historical whois, most of them DO have age. Driving me crazy these guys.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. Dropping and deleting is the same thing. If you are able to hand register then it is already dropped (= deleted) and there will be no age. When you check the whois you need to look at "creation date":
http://www.moniker.com/pub/Whois

You should ignore domaintools.com. On domaintools.com it mentions "Whois History" but that is unimportant. The only thing that counts is the creation date. Your domains are not aged.

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. Dropping and deleting is the same thing. If you are able to hand register then it is already dropped (= deleted) and there will be no age. When you check the whois you need to look at "creation date":
http://www.moniker.com/pub/Whois

You should ignore domaintools.com. On domaintools.com it mentions "Whois History" but that is unimportant. The only thing that counts is the creation date. Your domains are not aged.

Ok. Wait.

Let me use the right terms. Sorry about that.

I am buying these aged domains at the time they are in the "Pending Delete" stage. That 5 day period BEFORE deletion. They have not "dropped" yet or been "deleted."

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You said you registered and now you you said you bought them. There is a big difference between the two.

You CANNOT register a name without the name being Dropped/Deleted.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, you are not buying them at pending delete. The pending delete stage lasts 5 days. You are buying them when they finish the pending delete stage and become available at the end of these 5 days. Any domain that is pending delete will be deleted (will drop) and will become available. That's why you are able to register them.

Domaintools.com is a private website. They simply record information from other sources. Thats why they are able to tell you the domain has history (it was registered before it dropped). That doesn't mean anything. At the end it dropped and the creation date will be the day you registered it.

You can not buy or register a domain in pending delete stage. You can only register it after it leaves that stage and becomes available. Any domain that is in pending delete stage will not maintain its age.

Last edited:

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you are not able to register domains in the 5 day Verisign Pending Delete stage. Noone can. Not even the losing registrar. Once it is in that stage, it WILL drop and lose all it's age. The only way to get an aged to domain is to buy it from the registrant before it expires OR buy it at auction from one of the services (namejet) before it is dropped. All hand registers reset the clock on a domains age.

Channing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh, I get the difference now, guys. Thanks so much for your replies. Got it.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are registering names that have dropped and no one bothered to pick them up in an auction....good chance, no great change they are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom