Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Appraisal Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

techxp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide exists where I can learn how to find domain name worth.
I know, the value depends on buyers need but at least to know the range.

I have many names about to expire and I am not sure whether to renew or let expire ..

I am parking my names and it's no brainer that to keep the traffic domains.

But my problem is , I feel they are some names which are worth but not able to make even a buck/year in parking.

So I like to know , whether a guide exists which will explain how to appraise a domain considering all the factors ..

I appreciate any one who can guide me to a source where I can learn appraising a domain name ..

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think if anyone has a guide, that it would be too vague to apply to specific domains.

imo, the best guide is experience, instinct and/or gut feeling

sure, the robot from "lost in space" can give you an appraisal value, but you'll still have to keep renewing it until it's sold. :)

also that bot appraisal may give you false hope, since it never buys any domains.

here's my guide:

if you've owned them 2 years or more:

the rule of thumb is drop those that don't produce any traffic or revenue, especially any names that never got offers or garnered any inquiries.

drop those domains that have no commercial appeal

drop those domains that are not .com ( maybe keep some if they are one-worders)

drop the hyphens

drop the domains that were regged on "a whim"

drop the brandables with more than 10 letters

drop those names which have no development potential, especially if you are not a webdesigner

list all the domains which you plan to drop in the $1 auction section

Good Luck

techxp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
late, but thanks for valuable tips ..

I use following factors for initial filtering and on leftovers I use my gut-feeling.

* domain traffic
* google keyword popularity
* number of domains registered containing my domain
* google search results

The above factors helping for initial filtering but I have many domains with no traffic at all but I feel they are worth atleast $1k
But I am loosing money on renewals for many years .. For ex: staticremover.com there is no traffic and all above factors are poor.
My gut-feeling is it is worth atleast few $k ..

I like to know is there are any other factors I need to consider . ..

I appreciate tips from every one about their strategy on finding "domain worthiness" specially when the above factors are poor ..

Last edited:

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This forum is the only guide I know.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could I ask a related question here, not to hijack your thread, techxp. I was about to renew a dotnet name when I discovered that the dotcom was free but with a hyphen. Which do you think is better - XXXXXXXXXX.net or XXXXX-XXXXX.com?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get a real human appraisal from people who know domains. Automated appraisals will tell you anything from a registration fee to millions of dollars (for the same domain).

But, I'll let you in on a little secret, don't tell anyone. One of the best places to get an appraisal is here:
http://www.dnforum.com/f4/

and it's free! (Just keep in mind that if you don't get any responses, assume it's worth a reg fee). :)

Revenue means jack with most domain values. Sure, a domain with good natural traffic and a good parked page will be worth something but 99.999% of the domains out there have little to no natural traffic.

Keywords help - the shorter is better. .Com is king still but good other TLDs are worth a lot (just look at this week's sale of FlatRate.de).

Your best bet to make a domain valuable is to develop it. Stick with something you know - a hobby perhaps. Throw up a Wordpress blog with AdSense (or better if you're good with web design) and update it 2-5 times a week with stuff. With the right tools, even BalsaWoodModelAirplanes.com would be worth a lot.

Last edited:

VanguardDomain

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Draggar: I'm beginning to think that if you dont get a response in the appraisal area - that one could assume that the domain IS worth something.

Most people just want to come in there and say "Reg" or "$Reg - Low $xx"

Does it take a few days to get a reasonable appraisal?

Neil

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
drop the hyphens

Good Luck

Yesterday I sold Computer-Technology.com for $500 at sedo . Keep getting high $$$ offers for Stock-Investing.com - and keep declining. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom