Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyDomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A suggestion of mine would be for the domain appraisals section to allow appraisals of domains not owned by the person

Upvote 0

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A suggestion of mine would be for the domain appraisals section to allow appraisals of domains not owned by the person

In a separate sub-section, perhaps. However this might open some floodgates e.g. one might be "maliciously" placing other DNF'ers domains up for appraisal. It can cause lots of friction, believe me.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a separate sub-section, perhaps. However this might open some floodgates e.g. one might be "maliciously" placing other DNF'ers domains up for appraisal. It can cause lots of friction, believe me.

agree

especially, if one has the domain posted for sale here.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want an appraisal of someone else's domain, you can always ask them to make an appraisal thread.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, agree, and agree. :)
This would cause problems.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree, agree, and agree. :)
This would cause problems.

What? The attempts at censorship here are getting out of hand. We should abstain from discussing the value of domains we don't own? Yeah right.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What? The attempts at censorship here are getting out of hand. We should abstain from discussing the value of domains we don't own? Yeah right.

We can, just not in the Appraisals forum :)

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's always been that way. You cannot post in the appraisal forum unless you own the domain.

This thread wasn't made to discuss what the rules are. We all know what the rules are. CommercialDomains is suggesting a potential change to the rules.

It doesn't matter to me what forum the unowned appraisal threads are in. I don't think it matters to CommercialDomains either. I'm pretty sure from his original post that he would be fine with a different section entirely, as would I.

My disagreement is with the notion that we should not be allowed to publicly appraise domains we don't own at all, regardless of the section.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Cyrus, the appraisals forum has its own rules. Are you suggesting having another forum to evaluate domains we don't own? If so, the Gold Cafe is open to almost anything. No need to create a new forum for appraisals where anything goes. I foresee a lot of "Joe Blow's cuckooclocks.mobi sucks!" threads.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting having another forum to evaluate domains we don't own? If so, the Gold Cafe is open to almost anything. No need to create a new forum for appraisals where anything goes.

Yes I am. I think that's what CommercialDomains is possibly suggesting too. DNF has subforums that haven't had new threads in months. I'm sure an unowned appraisal subforum would get a lot more traffic and discussion than some of the other topics that have somehow warranted an entire subforum.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My only reservation is what I've already mentioned twice: an official "unowned appraisals" forum - something outside of a generic "Cafe" post - has the potential to create unwanted friction: Jim posting about Joe's domain, just to spite Joe who already lists the domain for sale. Why create headaches that are sure to happen? Trust me on this, I am the first one that'd exploit any rule's loophole, just to prove my point ;)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you need an appraisal on a domain you are bidding on or looking to buy, the worst thing to do is post it on a public forum. Otherwise you can post a thread in the Off topic sections if you want to discuss value of random domains.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why create headaches that are sure to happen? Trust me on this, I am the first one that'd exploit any rule's loophole, just to prove my point ;)

acro has tried every trick, and it's always about a point ;)

but to the OP

how would you feel if you posted you name for sale

while others were saying in the "we don't own this domain, but let's rag on it" forum, that your name is crap?

if we allow appraisals of non-owned domains, then it's like having "appraisals" in sales threads!

one could... "depreciate or increase" the perceived value of a domain for sale here.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom