Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Create Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question - I thought the domain create date reset when a domain is dropped and then snapped up? Example: I just checked a domain that BonkersTwo snapped up a few weeks ago - TOLT.com... the create date is still 1996??? Why is that?

This is the case for some domains, however this domain was most likely registered through one of the Snapnames partners, such as Register.com or NetworkSolutions. In those cases the "drop" never takes place and the "new registration" is actually more of an owner change.

/Frank

RepCentral

DN Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The TLD managing company (Example Verisign for .coms) creates a WHOIS record when a domain is first registered.
The WHOIS records are not deleted to my knowledge so you get the original creation date in the latest WHOIS.
Domains that have not been registered yet do not have a WHOIS file.
Therefore the domain name records are never truly deleted just created for the first time and then changed with new owners.

poing

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The TLD managing company (Example Verisign for .coms) creates a WHOIS record when a domain is first registered.
The WHOIS records are not deleted to my knowledge so you get the original creation date in the latest WHOIS.
Domains that have not been registered yet do not have a WHOIS file.
Therefore the domain name records are never truly deleted just created for the first time and then changed with new owners.

In some cases the domains are actually deleted and get a new creation date. You'll be able to tell if a domain is "pending-delete" in the registry whois. Then the creation date will not be preserved.

That's the main reason that eNom/Snapnames/Pool need so many registrars to make sure they can re-register the domains that get dropped.

However some domains are never dropped and the owner just changes - see my previous post for the details.

/Frank

RepCentral

DN Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just found some more info. I'm mistaken on the previous post. The data can be deleted after a certain period time with no registrar or it is requested by the registrar.
Honestly, I have never seen the create date changed.

Also, I read that Google puts more value on an older domains so it's not in the domain owners best interest to reset the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom