Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain development vs domain reselling, what's best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Domain development vs domain reselling, what's best? What normally gives you the most profit?

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm,

very good question. To me, domain development is longer term. I was never interested in making a site, then flipping it because your "idea" of what to do with a site might not be the same as others and you just wasted your time trying to flip it. It might even take more work to flip it then to create it.

Development is long term and should be geared to ongoing generation of money. Once it has been stable, incomewise for 4-5 years, then flip or keep it..heck..if I had 25 sites making 500 bucks a month..I'd be pretty happy and vacationing half the time.

What do you mean by domain reselling? You mean buying, then flipping? It's a highly speculative business. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you really have to be on the up and up with news/current events to catch on and notice a deal when no one else does.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Flipping is great fort a quick buck but your profit margin is usually minimal (but so is the work and costs).

Developing will give you the opprotunity to build up a real community, a real site, and have a steady revenue stream for months on end. It is a lot of work, costs more (hosting etc..) but in the end you'll be able to get a lot more money back.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering :)

I am done with school in the beginning of June next year, and my plan is to move to LA in September 2009, to begin an acting carear. Therfore, I need to have money when I am moving there.

What does "flipping" mean?

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any more thoughts on this subject guys?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Domain development vs domain reselling, what's best? What normally gives you the most profit?

This is easy to answer. Development always produce a good ROI whether a premium or make up name.

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Development is more time consuming but can, potentially, make you a stable income over the long term. The trouble with flipping is it's feast or famine. You might have to sit on 100 bad names in order to flip one good one. You get the money, then what? You've got to reinvest in better names in order to flip for a higher price -- so in the long run, I don't think flipping is quicker or easier money.

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
flipping developed names can be a good hybrid approach. if you can establish search engine placement and revenue, it will help.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
develop. pure flipping makes you look like a gambler who beat the house.

edyst3

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain developing is a good choice for us to get future profit on investing a domain name. If you just buy domain name and park it, perhaps you only get small revenue or may be not at all (if you bought new domain with no type in).

If you develop your domain, you can earn some revenue. You can sell ads space, promoting affiliate products, adsense or other. If you want to sell your developed domain in future, it will have good price. Developing domain takes more times.

Domain reselling is good if you can find your buyer. It's difficult to do (for me). I'd rather developing my domain. I have some developed domains and already earn some income.

LintonInvestments

Domain Investing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Flipping can mean different things to different people. Our company has built a business around "Flipping" domains - but our time window for a flip is 3-6 months.

We develop a high-quality site with interactivity that keeps users coming back and multiple forms of monetization. Once our domains are seeing good monthly revenue then we will sell. This involves taking the time to make sure your site is listed well in search engines and optimized for good placement. It also means you have to study your target market and really know the right website for your market.

Many define flipping as quickly buying and selling a domain - like I said, there are a variety of defintions.

Creating a high-quality website on a domain that keeps visitors coming-back and generates consistent income each month is a clear path to creating valuable domain investments.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I am going to go for domain development now :) I think that one sounds most fun. I really excited for this project.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi.

the most profit in the "shortest" amount of time, with the least amount of work or additional expenditures, will always be "domain reselling"..imo.

and that is the question to ask.

time is the key, as it depends on fast you want to reach your goal.

why is time the key?

because domain prices are not going down and top tld space is becoming limited.

you reap what you sow

the more work you put into something, the more you will always get out of it.

whether you are just a reseller, developer or part of both.

your profits are directly related to how much effort you put in.

the biggest profit can come from the sale of a developed website or a newly registered domain or purchase.
but bigger profits can only be compared to your last big profit, and always in relation to the cost of acquisition.

imo...

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
flipping developed names can be a good hybrid approach. if you can establish search engine placement and revenue, it will help.

What does a "hybrid approach" mean?

Currently, I am really not sure what to choose, anymore suggestions guys?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What does a "hybrid approach" mean?

Currently, I am really not sure what to choose, anymore suggestions guys?

Not exclusive to flipping or developing. As fab said, developing small sites to quickly sell them.

It will take longer than flipping and more work,but nor as much as full development. Chances are you'll end up with more than flipping will bring in but won't bring in as much as full development.

What you'll get out of it is directly proportional to what you put into it. The more you put into it, chances are the more you'll get out of it.

MainstreamDomains

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
developing gets more respect in my book - tho I have quite a squatter profile also...

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just found this. Worth a read:
http://affiliatetip.com/news/article002037.php
Domain Parking vs. Affiliate Marketing

By Shawn Collins
Jun 7, 2008, 13:45
Q: Which is better for generating income, parking a domain or building a site with affiliate links?

A: First off, I’d suggest testing both methods, because it depends on the market for PPC ads for the niche of the domain, as well as the age and popularity of the domain.

If it is a new domain that people aren’t likely to type in, I think you’d be better off developing a site.

Now I am biased towards affiliate marketing, and to be honest, I don’t see how a page of ads would work, but I am amazed that people respond to long sales pages, too.

I’ve tried parking domains here and there with a domains that were many years old, had a decent amount of inbound links, and they were indexed in the major search engines.

I didn’t see much return.

Then again, it depends on your interest and dedication to building the affiliate site. If you’re looking for a quick hit, building a quality affiliate site isn’t for you.

The affiliate site is more of an ongoing investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom