Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

domain duration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When i reg my domains i always reg them for 1 year but is regging domains for a longer duration have a better chance at selling?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I tend to register/renew domains for more than a year only if they are "valuable", e.g. have an annual income of at least 5 times reg fee or have had good or multiple offers.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I tend to register/renew domains for more than a year only if they are "valuable", e.g. have an annual income of at least 5 times reg fee or have had good or multiple offers.

Agree.
The best domains for more than a year.
The other names for one year only.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone,

I had this thought that the domains that sell for more were the ones that get registered for longer time.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you think your domain has value, and you intend on making a (reasonable) public perception of it, then register it for the 10-year period. My 2c.

Warren2

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is another issue to consider in regards to the registration period which I would like to share.
<o:p> </o:p>
Let me just first point out that this is pretty much cutting edge SEO information, and like most things in Google's algorithm it is not substantiated by Google. However, I have it from a good source and I believe it to be true, but use your own judgment to determine if you think this theory has any value or not. So please don't ask me to prove this as fact. I am not making any claims, just posting it as something that fellow DNForum members might want to consider in their SEO strategy for domains you plan to develop.

The theory is that Google takes the registration period of domain names into account when considering the "trust factor" of a new website. The idea is that an SEO spammer will normally not pay for a long registration period, since their strategies are short-term and it is possible/likely that their domains will be pretty useless after a year or so. Therefore a long registration period shows Google that the domain owner does not consider his domain to be a "throwaway domain" that will just be replaced as soon as it gets banned. Although I think there is still some question mark of how much this one point is really worth in the Google algo I consider it a small price to pay just in case it increases my trust factor with Google just half a percent...
Draw you own conclusion… :)

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is another issue to consider in regards to the registration period which I would like to share.
Let me just first point out that this is pretty much cutting edge SEO information, and like most things in Google's algorithm it is not substantiated by Google. However, I have it from a good source and I believe it to be true, but use your own judgment to determine if you think this theory has any value or not. So please don't ask me to prove this as fact. I am not making any claims, just posting it as something that fellow DNForum members might want to consider in their SEO strategy for domains you plan to develop.

The theory is that Google takes the registration period of domain names into account when considering the "trust factor" of a new website. The idea is that an SEO spammer will normally not pay for a long registration period, since their strategies are short-term and it is possible/likely that their domains will be pretty useless after a year or so. Therefore a long registration period shows Google that the domain owner does not consider his domain to be a "throwaway domain" that will just be replaced as soon as it gets banned. Although I think there is still some question mark of how much this one point is really worth in the Google algo I consider it a small price to pay just in case it increases my trust factor with Google just half a percent...
Draw you own conclusion… :)

Old news

Warren2

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been using this as part of my SEO strategy for the last couple of years. However, I am still surprised because I haven't seen it discussed elsewhere, but I suppose I am not as active in the forums and at the SEO conferences as I used to be a few years back...

Could you point out some places where this issue has been discussed online?

Last edited:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are correct, it is not brought up much. I have seen it pop up every now and then in threads like these. I don't know of any places offhand.

I am assuming your friend works for Google or leases their search tools?

Warren2

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are correct, it is not brought up much. I have seen it pop up every now and then in threads like these. I don't know of any places offhand.
Good. You had me worried for a while that I was getting old and losing touch with what's going on... ;)

I am assuming your friend works for Google or leases their search tools?
Good guess. :)

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone,

I read about that before warren.

I should have mentioned above that i was talking about parked domains and not already made websites.

I was doing some whois on some domains on sedo and they were registered for a few years.

Warren2

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read about that before warren.
Can you post or PM me a link to somewhere where this issue has been discussed such as a forum, article or a newsletter or something? I am not questioning that either of you have heard about this before somewhere. I am just curious as to where, because I got the information straight from the "horses mouth" so to speak, and from all the SEO's that I have spoken to about this none have been aware of it, and I have never seen it discussed anywhere...

I should have mentioned above that I was talking about parked domains and not already made websites.
I understood what you were referring to but I have little experience as a "domainer" so I couldn't contribute any information on parking/selling, but I do know SEO and I figured that it was a related side comment that might be of interest to someone. I apologize for diverting the thread away from its original focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom